Chapter 1

Hi guys! I know, I'm creating yet another book, but I am not deleting To the Stars and Back. I repeat, I AM NOT DELETING TO THE STARS AND BACK. This story is inspired from No Capes by joecool123 . It's not going to follow the same storyline or anything, but it is gonna follow the same idea. I'd like to thank the author of No Capes, however. It was an amazing story, full of suspense and drama and romance and mystery. So thank youuuuuuu.
I hope you all like this story, and as you know I might have trouble updating now since I'm officially going back and forth between two books. Thank you for all of your patience.

K here's the story.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Not everyone is meant to be a hero. I've learned that awhile ago. When your parents leave you without explanation when you're twelve and you're left with your older brother and no place to go, life's tough. You "have to be" the strong one. If something is bothering you, you can't complain about it. You're not gonna be babied anymore. I mean, unless your older brother is the nicest person in the world.

Mine, however, is the complete opposite. If you're looking for a supportive, loving sibling, don't come to my house. Seriously, ever since Mom and Dad disappeared, Wyatt has been anything but nice. I can't blame him though. He can't go to college because of me. We barely have enough money to pay the expenses each month.

Before, we used to be so close. I can't even describe the instant connection we used to have. But now it's just vanished. Poof. Gone. I flinch whenever I recall the look he gave me when he received the call from the police that they were missing. That day will haunt me forever...

And now, he's giving me one of his looks again.

"Heather, you're spilling your cereal everywhere. Stop playing with your food. You're not twelve anymore." He always mentions the specific age I was when they left. I'll never understand why.

I just rolled my eyes. "Not everyone's perfect like you, Wyatt." He literally thought everything he did was right. Like, who the heck thinks that?

"Well, at least I'm not immature," he muttered. After that, he just shook his head in disappointment. "And you need to make it to school. So finish up your cereal and get going."

It's almost like he didn't want me here. I mean, well, I guess he doesn't. Knowing I wasn't wanted, I gulped up all of my food. I grabbed my water bottle and lunch that I made earlier off the miniature kitchen counter. Then I walked to my room, only to find my backpack laying on the floor and the news radio on. The thing they were talking about was quite stupid. There seemed to be a woman complaining that she saw someone flying around IN THE SKY. And the news anchors sounded very amused.

"I swear. Yesterday, I was doing the normal chores in my home, as you know, children these days have their technology and all of that. But then I looked out the window. I thought I was seeing things but I'm very sure of what I saw."

"What did you see, Ms. Beckett?" The interviewer was obviously close to laughter. You could almost hear the smile on her face.

"A superhero. Or villain. Overlooking the city. I am very sure of what I saw." It was like she wanted to prove a point that was next to impossible.

"What was this...hero wearing?"

At that point I turned it off. If there was a superhero in the city, we would be better off by now. The crime rate would be much lower. The woman must've seen an abnormally large bird with enormous wings. I mean, that's the only explanation I can come up with. Unless she's blind. Poor, poor woman. I don't know how she'll handle the embarrassment the next few days.