Chapter 4

I compose myself so I don't literally blow up and insult her. "Ok. What is her side of this?"

She turned her chair a bit and tapped the desk with her pen. "You went up to her and her friends and insulted them, called them names. Even further you almost slapped her as she was crying and asking you to stop."

I was speechless. I didn't want to get on the principal's bad side, but I had to defend myself somehow. "Do I get to speak my side of this? Or am I already receiving a punishment?"

She bit her lip and tapped her pen furiously. "Fine I'll hear you out."

"Ok. Well first of all, her friends came up to ME. It wasn't the other way around. And yes, I tried to defend myself ONLY BECAUSE she was insulting me, but my friends pulled me away before I could actually say anything. I'm sorry if she thinks I 'harassed' her or something. I'm not a person who gives up an argument easily."

She sighed. "Fair enough. But you'll have detention tomorrow afternoon."

"WAIT RIGHT AFTER SCHOOL?!"

"Yes, unless you want to be here at night. Actually even if you wanted to you can't. There has to be a guard and I'm sure they wouldn't want to work late at night."

Frick, Coach is gonna give me more than extra laps. Damn it.

I became frustrated. "Alright. But how about Gwen? She should be punished too. I mean, she is the liar here." I growled the last part under my breath.

"I'll talk to her. I can't keep sending students to detention." I widened my eyes.

"But you just sent me—never mind it doesn't matter. She'll be mad at me either way..."

"Alright, you're excused. BUT go STRAIGHT back to class. Don't assume I don't know about you storming out." I laughed nervously, rubbing the back of my neck. "Sorry about that." I eased up a bit after noticing her change in mood. I was actually surprised she didn't lash out on me and give me a suspension. Count me lucky.

"It's fine, but don't do it again. The safety of our students really is important. I don't want someone to end up dying if something does come out of the shadows unexpectedly." Her expression became dark. "Anyway, have a nice day, Heather."

"Thanks." I rose from the chair I sat in and exited the office. I collected my thoughts as I strode back to class.

She seemed really serious back there...death???? At school? There isn't any imposing threat so why is she so worried? I knew it was none of my business but curiosity overcame me. This kept me preoccupied until I walked through the class doorway, all eyes on me. I silently ignored them and sat in my seat. I wouldn't do anything else to get myself into trouble. I couldn't risk another absent at practice, or my coach would cut my play time AND give me more endurance exercises (which she knew I hated by the way).

I could still sense the tense atmosphere that lingered after Mrs. Hart's news. My classmates were furiously discussing the strict rules. "Hey. What happened?" Jake and Cece were concerned. I shook my head, which they understood as not now. In truth, I really didn't want to tell them, fearing I'd become enraged and do something rash. They were about to question my expression, but the teacher quieted everyone down and began the lesson for the day. I was barely listening though, thinking about how things would play out now.

================

School ended. I decided to go straight to my bike instead of telling my coach I wouldn't be at practice. I'd rather face her wrath tomorrow when I'm in the mood. I forgot that Wyatt had to pick me up today, so when his car pulled up in the parking lot I blinked a few times then recalled the new rules. AND that I had to get to the library before all of the good books were taken. I placed my bike in the bike rack and opened the car door. I sat down and he sped off.