Chapter 1 - Ash

The lights flicker for a brief second, so quick that the kids around me didn't even notice. The intercom whirs, a loud voice then booms out. I glance up, like most of the other students. One thing is different between them and me though. I know what's going on.

"Do not panic, staff and students. We are technically in lockdown, but we are being forced to ask you all to flee. This is not a drill. Please walk calmly to the nearest exit." A few moments of silence, then the whispering. Soon after that is the full-blown screaming as the kids run out of the room. I stay sitting, for god knows what.

The intercom comes on after the screaming subsided. "Ágaln Kelste, come find your mother." I heave the young body out of the chair. Might as well find mi mamì.

I walk towards my locker while scanning the crowds outside. I see a few familiar faces, then I see him... I go up to the window to get a closer look. He's facing the building but staring at his phone. He has a beanie on, but you can tell he has dark cherry brown hair. I bring my hand up to the window, placing my hand gently on the frigid glass. As my palm lay on the cold glass, electricity starts to burn up and down my arm and into my frozen fingertips. As the surging increases, my skin begins to change. From the flawlessly pale complexion, the scars from years of torture begin to erupt. As the pulsing continues, it starts to generalize in my hand. I focus the energy on making it into a combustion explosion that is small enough to not make too much sound but large enough to make the glass break. The glass then shatters.

The shattering of the glass from where my hand was, awakens him from the technological trance he was. His eyes move towards the source of the sound. Our eyes meet, pink and taupe eyes meeting emerald gold. Realization shots through his beautiful eyes. I step over the shattered glass, slightly moving it out of the way, keeping steady eye contact with him. The scars across my body scalding having not seen the light of day for centuries. I slowly step towards him, arm weak from the sudden exertion of power.

"Chris?"