04 - Vampires and Toned Cheekbones

I was playing the guitar in my room that evening - well, at least trying to. My aunt wouldn't shut up about all the noise that I was making. Fuming, I grabbed the guitar and marched out of the apartment, slamming the door shut behind me. I stood outside the door for a while, not sure if I should just sit down in the hallway or on the hood of my car since I'd forgotten my car keys inside the apartment and it would hurt my ego to go back inside just to retrieve them after that dramatic door slam.

I ended up ringing Jungkook's doorbell after a while and was greeted by his mother after a few seconds. She was a short and friendly woman who took every opportunity she got to stuff my face with food, constantly saying that I could pass for a vampire if my cheekbones turned anymore prominent.

Not really sure what the connection was between toned cheekbones and vampires but Jungkook and I never questioned her.

"Grasu," she exclaimed happily calling me by the nickname she'd given me years ago. I couldn't help but smile at her openness and the Korean accent still present in her tone as I waved. "Hi, Mina-eemo."

When I'd been little, Jungkook's mother had taught me how to address her. She told me that the word eemo meant aunt. Specifically it refers to an aunt from your mother's side but thankfully, Jungkook's mother hadn't gone into the details with me back then. Now the title had simply stuck.

She ushered me inside and not unexpectedly, asked me if I'd eaten. I told her that I hadn't, placing the guitar carefully down next to the couch and then she led me to the kitchen where Jungkook, his dad and his little sister were sitting on a table and eating.

This came as a surprise to me and I turned with raised eyebrows towards Mina-eemo. "What happened to the mat that you guys always used to sit and eat on?"

At my question, she shook her head irritably, fixing her gaze on her small daughter. "Mat gone since someone spilt too much bleach on it."

The nine year old looked offended at the accusation and then bowed her head in shame, muttering, "It wasn't my fault... the bottle was too heavy."

"And who told you to lift it then? Han?!" Her mother placed her hands on her hips as the girl shrunk even more smaller.

I caught sight of Jungkook's twinkling eyes as he reached out and lightly ruffled his baby sister's silky hair fondly. I couldn't help the pang of jealously that I felt then. It was like everything that I'd ever wanted since I was a kid. A perfect and happy and occasionally bickering family that lived right next door to me. As if fate needed to constantly remind me that I didn't have that and that I could perhaps never have this. Mocking me.

Jungkook's dad motioned for me to sit down at the empty seat and even before I had, his wife was already loading up my plate with sausages and meatballs and that special spicy Korean sauce that she always made over the weekends so that it would last the whole week.

I guess they were pretty used to seeing me around so much that I was practically part of their family now. I was more than happy to be a part of all this.

Jungkook nodded in greeting since his mouth was full and I had to hold back my laughter. He looked adorable, with his cheeks puffed out like that. His mother hit him on the back of his head, clicking her tongue disapprovingly. "Don't eat like a pig!"

He chose to ignore her as he put another meatball in his mouth and I decided to dig in as well.

Over dinner, Jungkook's dad briefed his mother about his day and his work, as was his habit. And she munched on her food, nodding all the while he talked but never interrupted him. I realised, staring down at my plate, that I really had spent too much time here to know what was normal and what was to be expected. That realisation made my heart ache a little because I couldn't even remember the last time I shared a proper meal with my own uncle and aunt. Never like this, though, as a normal family.

I usually preferred to eat in my own room, bringing my food up rather than stay downstairs and listen to my aunt belittle me in every way possible while my uncle watched on, uncaring.

"Grasu, you want more?"

Mina-eemo's voice shook me from my train of thought and I looked at her, already shaking my head. "Oh, no, I'm fine."

She shook her head at me. "Tsk, tsk. You're too thin and you look like a-"

"Vampire." Both me and Jungkook chuckled and finished her sentence together at the same time.

Her eyes narrowed as she tried to hide a smile. "Don't get cheeky with me," she warned and both me and Jungkook struggled to keep a straight face.