Chapter 27 - A Place I'd Like to Call 'Home'

The gravel crunches beneath my feet as I walk up the asphalt road heading towards the golden gates of the victor’s village at the top of the hill. Dean walks beside me, looking down at the pristine road, not really saying anything.

While we’ve decided to go home, Gina and Mark have decided to go to the local festivities at the town square, where everyone is celebrating happily. The district citizens are incredibly happy to finally have two people win the hunger games consecutively. I don’t really see the big deal of it all, and neither does Dean, which is why he’s coming home with me.

“I’ll get my own house, won’t I?” Dean asks.

“Yeah,” I mutter, “They hook you up with everything,” I say.

“Like what?” Dean murmurs.

“Well, when I won, I get my own mansion in the victor’s village; I got a large supply of food; and I got my own car,” I say.

“A car?” Dean mutters.

“Yeah, so we don’t have to travel around in District 8 using our feet like the other peasants,” I say, jokingly.

“Right,” Dean laughs.

“So, I’m guessing you want to go to your house then?” I say, “I mean, after all we’ve been through and all.”

“That does sound lovely,” Dean says as he slips his hand right around my waist and pulls me towards him, “but, I would much rather stay with you today.”

I smile at him, and he smiles back.

“Well, we do have the entire place to ourselves,” I giggle towards him.

“Exactly,” he smiles, “It’ll be like our own little celebration.”

We finally reach the golden gates of the victor’s village, which opens automatically when we’re within proximity. We walk through the gates and are greeted to the lush greenery that surrounds the extravagant homes of the victor’s village.

“Home sweet home,” I mutter.

I then grab Dean’s arm and pull him towards my house.

“Wow,” Dean mutters in awe at the sight of the luxurious home.

“Yeah, it’s pretty nice,” I say as I open the large front doors.

We enter the clean modern house and fall onto the large sofas nestled in the airy living room.

“Hyora, I love you,” Dean murmurs into my ear while putting his hands around my waist.

“I love you too,” I say.

I tilt my head towards his, causing his lips to gently make contact with mine. He wraps his arms around me, and I wrap mine around his. For once in my life, I feel comfortable and relaxed; not having to worry about anything. I look into Dean’s innocent face and admire the tiny details, such as his long lashes and his deep brown eyes.