Chapter 16 - The Control Lounge pt 5

“LIANKA, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” I shriek deafeningly as I hear the sound of the cannon.

I see Lianka’s dead body on the screen and sob violently. Mark and Gina wrap their arms around me to comfort me, but I forcefully push them away.

“Fuck you!” I shout at the tiny figure standing above Lianka’s dead body – Ari Diamonte.

I hear the sounds of muffled sobs coming from Mark. I am not the only one saddened by the loss.

Lianka Feathers, the girl who was my best friend, is gone. Lianka was the girl who shared the same pain I did, since both our parents were missing or dead. Lianka’s the girl who was always there for me through thick and thin. Lianka was the girl who grew up with me. Lianka was the girl who I volunteered for last year to save her life and find answers about my family.

It now feels like everything I worked so hard to preserve has been taken away from me. Lianka is gone and there is nothing I can do about it.

***

Later that night, I sit at the control desk, hoping that Lianka would appear healthy and alive, and that all I would have to do is save her from any oncoming threat. Everyone is asleep in their bedrooms, including Mark, but I honestly can’t sleep at all. This entire experience has been too much for me.

Due to Lianka’s death, my protectiveness over Dean has increased. I have my suspicions about Haivana, but at this current time, she appears to be a trustworthy ally; or she’s a really good actor. Dean and Haivana have found a safe spot in the forest to hide in, while the career tributes have left the area and occupied the pyramids. I sigh in frustration at the fact that the only dead career tribute at the moment is Jaicey Gemme. There are still five other careers out there that are potential threats. I understand that Haivana has allied with Dean, but I still find her very dodgy.

“Hyora?” says a male voice from behind me.

I swiftly turn around and see Mark. He looks tired and dishevelled. He walks towards me and sits beside me.

“You’ve been here all day,” he mutters, looking at the screen.

Dean and Haivana are sleeping peacefully under a tree. The forest area is probably the only source of fresh water in the arena, since I notice a tiny pond just beside the pair.

“I’m worried about Dean,” I sigh. “That’s all, really.”

“I see,” Mark mumbles.

“Listen,” I mutter, “I can see why Cecelia abandoned me. This is too painful to watch. I don’t think I can do this anymore,” I sigh, looking down.

“So does that mean you’re considering giving up?” Mark mutters.

“I’m not considering giving up. I AM giving up,” I frown. “I’m going back to District 8 in the morning.”

“If that’s what you truly want,” Mark says. “I promise that I’ll keep a good eye on Dean for you, alright?”

“Thanks,” I say. “Look, I’m really sorry about my decision, it’s just that I don’t think I can bear seeing anyone die again.”

“I understand,” Mark sighs, looking at me, then back at the screen.

I turn to the screen and see Dean sleeping. It only makes sense for me to leave this all behind. I’ve already accepted the fact that I can’t become attached to Dean. If I become anymore emotionally attached to him, I might just break and never mend again. It’s best for me to forget him, and now is a good time to start.

I head to my bedroom and find the bed, which is completely neat, since I haven’t really slept in it since coming here. I’ve been glued to the two screens at the control desk the entire time. One day, I’ll look back upon all this and realise that it is only a pathetically small part of my life.

I head to the bed and lie down, staring blankly at the dark ceiling. Nothing good has come out of this entire thing, and it’s my entire fault. I should have helped Lianka more. I should have pushed her harder during training. I should have done what any other trainer would’ve done, and that is push Lianka to the edge.

Within minutes, my eyelids feel heavy, and I suddenly fall into a deep and eventful sleep.

***

I jolt up from the bed, covered in sweat. I scan the room and notice that nothing has changed. I slip out of the bed and head into the living room where Mark and Gina are sitting at the sofa, discussing sponsor funds.

I decide to pack my things into a bag, and get dressed in a simple coat.

“Whoa, where are you going?” Gina says, noticing the bags.

“I’m going back to District 8,” I reply.

“Why?” Gina snaps.

“I can’t deal with any of this anymore, alright?” I say.

“No, you’re staying! You have to!” Gina insists.

“And why should I?” I say uncaringly.

“Look,” Gina says, handing me a new issue of Victor’s Weekly.

I look at the page and read the article printed on it.

Victor’s Weekly - Who’s Most Likely To Win?

Article By Shabonka Gold

According to our online polls, the tribute most likely to win at this current time is Ari Diamonte from District 1, but who’s second or third?

Well, many of our keen followers of the Hunger Games have speculated that the other tributes that are very likely to win are Haivana Shard (District 2), Allistair French (District 4), Phoebe Helena (District 4), Dean Arrow (District 8) and Farro Barley (District 9). These tributes were chosen as likely to win, due to the fact that their training scores, likeability and sponsorships have been quite positive since the first day of the games.

I put the magazine down and sigh. This won’t help me in any way at all.

“Thanks for the hope,” I mutter, “but I’m still going back.”

Gina and Mark look at each other, then back at me.

“Listen, Hyora,” Mark says, “do whatever you feel is best.”

“Thanks,” I mutter.

I grab the handle of the bag, and walk out the room without really saying goodbye to anyone. I’ve had enough of this place.

I head outside, where a large hovercraft is waiting, ready to take me back to District 8. A staircase descends from the bottom of the hovercraft, and I walk into it. The door shuts, leaving me inside the air conditioned cabin. I suddenly feel a rumble as the hovercraft begins to ascend. I take a seat on one of the lounges in the aircraft, and keep to myself.

Soon enough, I will be back in District 8, away from the hellish environment of the arena and the control room.