1

Meredith's POV
I open my computer and see a new email.  It's from the agency that has advertisements for new job, and someone emailed me asking when I was available to start.  

I decide to write back, as why would I give up a job?  I have to pay for medical school somehow.  

To: Derek Shepard
From: Meredith Grey
Message: Hello Derek, I got your email.  I would love to be the nanny for you daughter.  Is there a time that works for both of you so I can meet you both before I start?  
Thanks,
Meredith

To: Meredith Grey
From: Derek Shepard
Message: Hi Meredith, if you are available to meet us at Seattle Grace Hospital, where I work, Friday at two in the afternoon, that would be great.  
Thanks,
Derek

"Yes."  I say into my empty apartment.  I rush around as I realize that I have 20 minutes before I have to be in my next class.  

Today is only Monday, so at least I have something exciting to look forward to for the end of the week.  

*Thursday*
Today I have my school arranged time to observe and help out a little at Seattle Grace, so I wake up early and start to get ready.  I then remember Derek saying he worked there.  I wonder how this is going to work out, if I'll see him.  

I drive my old beat up Jeep into the parking lot, surrounded by fancy BMW's and Audis and Porsches.  I get out and run up the intern locker room (which technically, I'm not an intern, but my mother worked here for half a century when I was a little kid, so I know my way around here like the back of my hand).  

"Good morning, Dr Webber."  I say walking into the chief's office.  
"Good morning Meredith.  Okay, today you'll be working with neurosurgery, if there's a surgery, you will watch in the gallery as usual, got it?"  Dr Webber says.  
"Yep!  Who's the neurosurgeon?"  I ask.  
"Me."  A voice says behind me.  "Hi, I'm Derek Shepard."  
"Meredith Grey."  I say. 
"Wait, aren't you the person who's going to be Sam's nanny?"  Derek asks. 
"Uh yeah.  I'm a medical student and I also volunteer here to get experience."  I say.  
"She's brilliant.  Meredith, don't worry about today, you'll be great."  Dr Webber says. 
"Thanks Dr Webber."  I say.  

Derek and I walk out of the office and down the hall.  

"So I just started here last week, so everything is still new.  How do you know the chief?"  Derek asks. 
"My mom did her residency here with Richard and while my mom was married to my father, she cheated on him with Richard.  Then my mom uh had to retire, and tried to convince me not to go to medical school.  But since I still have two more years, I decided to get a job here."  I say.  "Where are we headed?"  
"The ER, I think."  Derek says.  
"That's the other direction."  I say laughing.  
"Really?"  Derek says, getting all confused.  
"Yeah.  We're headed towards dermatology right now."  I say.  

We get back on track but Derek jumps into the staircase and runs up the stairs.  I have to sprint to catch up, as he's taller.  

"Dr Shepard, where are you going?"  I say out of breath.  
"The day care, where Sam is."  He says.  "Want to meet her now?"  
"Sure.  Do we have time before the consult down in the pit?"  I ask.  
"The pit?"  Derek asks.  
"Yeah, the pit, the ER."  I say.  
"Okay then, let's go meet Sam." I say.  I hadn't been the day care since I was five, and apparently mature enough not to walk into the OR (not that that didn't happen of course, it just wasn't on accident). 

Below is what Sam looks like, just imagine regular everyday clothes a 5 year old would wear