3

"Hey, I'm sorry I'm late. A surgery ran overboard and then an intern put something in the wrong slot when they were filling in the chart, so I had to go through and redo a decent portion of it. What do we have for dinner?" Derek asks, placing his briefcase next to the table and giving Sammie a kiss on the head.
"We made a pizza, and had some carrots and hummus as a snack before dinner, because veggies with pizza apparently ruins the whole thing of eating pizza for dinner." I say, looking at Sammie.
"And Meredith let me out any topping I wanted on the pizza! We had bacon and dino nuggets so we put that on the pizza!" Sammie said, showing her dad the pizza.
"Wow, that looks delicious." Derek says.
"Well, you're in luck. There's more on the top of the stove. It's still hot." I said.

"Meredith, can you tuck me in tonight?" Sammie asks when Tangled was done playing. In the last couple of weeks babysitting Sammie and being with this little family, I think we've seen this movie maybe five or six times, it's one of her favorites. I should put on Brave when she's older. Her fiery red curls remind me so much of Merida.
"Of course sweetie. Let's give your dad a hug and go upstairs and brush teeth and get pjs on." I say, getting up and carrying her upstairs.

"I think my dad likes you. Like really likes you. You both work in the same hospital, and you're a lot f fun to be around. What happens when I go to school in the fall?" Sammie says.
"Well, I can still pick you up and look after you when your dad is at work, and we can still do everything we do now. Why would that change?" I ask.
"I don't know. I was just wondering. Can you be there when daddy brings me to school on the first day? I want you to be there." Sammie asks.
"Of course. I'd love to be there." I say smiling. She really does like me. And apparently, Derek does too. Well, given by our thing the other night, I'd be surprised if he didn't like me.
"Yay! We can be like a real family!" Sammie says with a mouthful of toothpaste goop.
"Less talking, more brushing." I say as I wipe the goop that dripped.

I read her a book and when back downstairs to grab my bag and head back to my house.

"Meredith, would you maybe stay a minute?" Derek asks.
"Sure, what's up?" I ask. I slip into one of the dining room chairs.
"Did Sam ask you to be there when she goes to school in the fall?" Derek asks.
"Yeah, I won't go if you don't want me there, but it-" I start.
"Meredith, don't worry, I want you there and Sammie wants you there. If she wants you there, then I want you there. She really likes you." Derek says.
"Alright, just tell me when, and I'll make it work." I smile.
"And she's not the only one. Will you go on a date with me?" Derek asks slowly.
"I think that'd be fun. What would we do?" I ask.
"Well, I gotta think of something, but I wasn't sure how you'd respond. I mean, you're Sam's nanny, and we work together and you're in medical school, so." Derek says.
"Derek, I'd love to go out with you. Just tell me when and where, and I'll be there." I say.
"Then how does Saturday night work? I'll pick you up at 7pm?" Derek asks.
"What about Sammie?" I ask.
"I'll find someone to watch her." Derek says. "So, Saturday?"
"Yeah. I'll text you my address." I say.
"Great. Do you want to stay for a drink or something, or?" He asks.
"I've got an early class tomorrow, so I should probably get going. I still have some reading to get done before class in the morning." I say, grabbing my bag and pulling my keys out.
"Alright, well, see you tomorrow." Derek says.

*Saturday*
I'm running around my room, trying to find something decent to wear for my date, and I've got Cristina on a video call helping with outfits as she vents about a guest lecturer from this last week and how hot he is.

"Cris, I need to find something cute and sexy but not too revealing. Any ideas?" I say into my laptop.
"Um those jeans with the butterfly butt pockets and that red v-neck shirt we got last time we went shopping." she says.
"We went shopping like six months ago. I have no idea where that top is. I know the one, but I have no- oh I found it." I say pulling it from the back of my overstuffed drawer. I got it for bars, but it'll work for a date. I slip the outfit on and turn to the camera.
"Hot! Now, back to the hot lecturer. The red hair, and the accent just ugh dude we gotta find him somewhere." she says.
"Did he say where he worked?" I ask, setting the laptop down on my vanity.
"Um some hospital in the city. Seattle Hospital? That's not it. There was something else." Cristina mutters.
"It wouldn't Grace Hospital, would it?" I ask. I think I've seen this doctor around before, but I've never worked directly with him.
"That's it! You're a genius. Now we gotta find him."
"I know exactly who you're talking about. He works in the ER. You're talking about Owen Hunt, right?" I ask.
"Wait, how did you know? You skipped the lecture because of your nannying job." she says.
"Dude, I work at Seattle Grace on Thursdays. I don't work in the ER, but I've seen him around." I say, putting a bit of makeup on. Concealer, mascara, eyebrows. I put a swath of light pinky-coral eyeshadow on and a light pink lipstick with a touch of gloss over it.
"You've let me go on for what, like an hour now, about how I wanna find this guy and you work with him? Why couldn't I have gotten a job at the hospital during medical school?" Cristina whines.
"My mom used to work there, and the chief of surgery and her were involved and offered it to me when he saw I was in medical school. I don't know. I can see if I can get you something here if you want." I say.
"Would you? That would be amazing. We could work together and I would be around Owen and I think it would be a huge leg up in terms of getting a job after school." Cristina says.