Chapter 0: Corrupt Reformation

*****

Year: 3998
Two years before the final overlord's election.

Quazeren entered the temple, they had been waiting, impatiently as always. He never liked talking to them and even more so hated the way they portrayed themselves, with proudness, especially the Elder Lord.

Quazeren was tall and lanky with reddish brown hair and blue eyes, his smaller frame made him look taller than he actually was and somewhat menacing. He wore a black cloak with a brown vest beneath, dark grey pants, and a black, digital watch. The time would shine in the air above it every hour. He carried a small book enlaced with silver thread, an etching of blood red and with the shape of a spherical object was printed on the cover, golden beams shone from the heart of the sphere giving it a look of radiance.

The cold stone echoed his footsteps as he approached his seat, hurriedly placing the book upon the table, allowing for the others to see, he took his seat.

"Elder Quazeren, you're late." Quazeren cleared his throat while covering his mouth. "My deepest apologies Lord Nethandril, I was held up for final adjustments." The lord waved a dismissive hand. "Never mind that, I trust you have finished. Are the plans finalized?" Quazeren nodded quickly as he opened the book. "They are, we have already made plans for the next election of the Overlord."

Nethandril, recently elected by the last Elder Lord, had never shone his face, choosing to wear a black mask along with a black hood, always shadowing him.

"What is his name?" Nethandril asked. "And are you sure you have all the details of him? The duplication process will not work without it." Quazeren nodded once more and flipped through the pages until he found what he was looking for. "Here it is," he said while pointing to the page. Numerous lines of code and random symbols were written upon the pages. "The operation, or duplication, has been reviewed by our top scientists, this should work, and if it does..."

"If it does work, you will be a rich man, the rest of you will be given a full proof overlord for the rest of time. The last overlord to be elected, this will be the making of an entirely new planet."

A small flicker of worry flowed inside Quazeren's chest. Why am I thinking that this is bad, that it will have dramatic consequences? Never mind it, this will give the humans a better chance of survival. . . I'm sure of it. "Elder Lord, if I may?" He said while raising his hand to the right side if his chest. He didn't know why they did it, he guessed it was some old way of being polite in asking a question. "You may."

"I still do not fully understand the depth of their operation, may I ask what this is all about?" The moment he said it he knew he had spoken wrongly, the Elder Lord was known to punish those who tried to know more than they should. Three weeks ago one of the elders had spoken out of turn and ended up being taken away, but when he was returned two days later he was different, he hasn't spoken since, only types on a screen having his words displayed upon the wall.

The Elder Lord rose from his chair and made his way down the steps, slowly fixing his clothes to their perfect rest. He came close to Quazeren's face, inches away as he leaned forward. "The details are not important to someone of the likes of you, only those who I trust will ever hear the entire plan, and those are few, none of which are in this room."

"In fact, it may just be better to rid those who defy me, those who try and know more than they should." He straightened and looked around the room at the six other elders, Quazeren being the seventh. "You all will learn today the power that I possess." Quazeren noticed a small devise the Elder Lord held in his hand. It blinked red once he clicked it then shined a blue light after several seconds. His mind began to race with the possible alternatives to the situation, his ears blocking out what the Elder Lord was saying, focusing on his chance of escape. Escape? Why would I need to escape? What is this that the Elder Lord is saying, something is wrong, I feel an evil behind that mask, that of which I have never felt before.

". . . Quazeren, Answer me!" Quazeren was startled back into reality by the booming voice if the Lord, his voice echoing inside his head almost giving him a headache. His watch beeped announcing his sons birthday. That's right! It's his fourteenth birthday. He and my Wife are expecting me home in an hour.

"I'm sorry Lord, I was distracted, my sons birthday is today." He hoped by saying that The Lord would forgive him and dismiss him sooner. "My family is expecting me home in an hour once work ends." The Elder Lord let out a low chuckle, his fists tightening. Quazeren could have almost swore he heard him whisper something but couldn't be sure if it. What did he say? Accursed humans? No, he wouldn't have said that, unless, no, it's not possible! Suddenly, the doors flew open. A unknown group of soldiers rushed in, their armor black with gold emblems on their shoulders, a non-human skull with swords puncturing through the top. Two rows of five.

What the hell are those!?

The Elders around the table jumped in surprise. Immediately they began to ask questions, chaos soon filled the room. The Elder Lord stood motionless as the soldiers came to form a line behind him. "What is the meaning of this!?" One of the elders asked angrily. The Lord simply opened his hands, palms facing them as if to say he was innocent. "My friends, this is reformation." Silence swept over the room, none daring to move.

Quazeren slowly began to regain his composure assessing the situation.

"How can this be reformation, what the hell are you planning!?"

"More than you can imagine. Having joined with an extraterrestrial god, no one can stand before his and my might. You know nothing of who I truly am." He rose his hand giving the signal for the soldiers. They lifted their guns, barrels aiming towards the elders.

"If you kill us, no one will follow you. The people will not respect a lord who eliminates his fellow elders."

"You're right, of course I have given this much thought and have come up with a solution." The doors opened once more, seven robed figures walked in.

No...how could this...this can't be happening!

The figures entered, slowly making their way behind the table.

Their faces! they...they're duplicates of us! This was his plan all along.

"As I said elder Quazeren, I have a solution to this, everything is under my control." He smiled as a red flash almost like a mist slithered across his eyes.

"Evil can not prevail Nethandril, it has no place on this earth."

Nethandril chuckled, "it already has." He opened his fist and brought his hand down beside his hip in a fast forward motion. The signal had been given.

Fire and sparks flew from the barrels of the soldiers guns, everything seemed to move in slow motion. He thought of his family, his choices, his plans, everything, now ending. His wife's face showed in his mind, his last thought before a bullet smashed through his skull, severing his brain, blood spurting to the ground. He fell backwards hitting the cold, stone floor.

Evil cannot win, good will prevail, no matter the cost. He thought as his eyes closed, the light fading quickly. His heart slowed, then stopped, lifeless.

*****

[I hope you enjoyed this chapter I would greatly appreciate any comments you have, what you would like to see happen, ideas, or anything else you can think of. Thank you for reading! Please hit that like button if you enjoyed this chapter. ----The Leader Books*]