Munif

"We're close now."

Munif listened to the squat old salt with scarred cheeks. The mariner held a rope in his right hand and was coiling it around his left arm, all the while staring out to sea.

"Can't be more than five farsangs by my reckoning."

In the distance, Munif could see that the cobalt hue of the deep sea was beginning to warm into the soft azure common to the waters off the coast. The dhow continued its course through a deep channel. Though the depth was more than fifty feet, the water remained so clear that Munif could see sand and silvery-hued weeds moving with the current on the sea floor. Beyond the channel to the southwest, long, dark ribbons of kelp waved in the current as if bidding him farewell, as the vessel neared the end of its voyage to Tivisis.

The mariner pointed toward a shallow arc of limestone that extended into the Emerald Sea southwest of the mainland.

"Calanar Islands. You won't find them on most maps, though," the mariner said.

"Why is that?" Munif asked as he observed the tiny islands that dotted the surface of the sea.

"Because those who have houses there don't want to let anyone know 'bout them," the mariner replied. "Merchant lords and many a sheikh's mistresses—with more gold than sense. Least I've heard tell."

Grinning, Munif slapped the mariner's shoulder. "Probably true."

He knew the history of Tivisis well. The people here were justified in their pride. Warm, welcoming and vibrant—the city was unrivaled in its commerce, save perhaps for Riyyal.

As the dhow navigated between two of the smaller islands,

Tivisis came into view. The city appeared to be fashioned of silver and gold, with rooftops of sparkling gems: indeed, Pavanan Munif thought to himself, a crown fit for an empire.

Soon the ship found the harbor and Munif could see the marketplace beyond the crowded quays. The busy streets with long, wide walkways were alive with color and movement. Vendors hawked their wares, displaying rich, brightly hued cloth, mounds of ripe fruit, and birds of fabulous plumage from faraway lands. Even from this distance, Munif could see the glint of copper and brass. Everywhere he looked he saw myriad hues; and the scent of countless perfumes permeated the air. Maidens with veiled faces glided among the throngs of traders, sailors, and soldiers.

Munif watched as laborers on the docks unloaded vessels of every conceivable size and design. He could see longships from Khorbard, cogs from Ruinart, and caravels of the Rajani. Many of the ships bore scars from sailing treacherous passages to reach the city.

The end of the voyage was most definitely in sight.

Munif helped two others coil the ropes from the lateen sails as crewmen scuttled across the deck and up into the rigging. The easiest of the tasks was behind him; what lay ahead would be difficult. Once the ship was unloaded, the crew would be off to enjoy the pleasures and delights of Tivisis.

Munif shared no such luck.

There weren't any free moorings large enough to hold the vessel, and since their ship was third in line, Munif knew it would be nightfall before they set ashore.

The summoners, however, did not intend to wait.

As he watched, Hersí tossed three coins to the old mariner. He seemed to know exactly what the summoner had in mind, and when the captain was engaged elsewhere, he led the summoners to the back of the dhow where one of the tenders was already being lowered into the water. Hersí climbed down the rope ladder and claimed a seat at the prow. Munif watched all this, cursing under his breath. He would have to follow. Then he noticed Bashír standing by the rail, wearing a concerned expression.

Not good, thought Munif. He had counted on the two separating once they'd reached shore. Munif decided to go with Hersí.

"Wait," Munif called out to the mariner. "The boat can hold another."

He jumped into the tender and threw two dirans at the old man, avoiding the summoner's gaze. The mariner pocketed the coins before dipping the oars into the water.

Munif wiped his face with the back of his sleeve as he debated what to do next.

Just beyond the dock, Munif saw the port teeming with vendors. Booths, tents, and tables occupied every available space, creating a miniature city of their own. The air was filled with a cacophony of voices. He stepped out to a confusion of scents and sounds overwhelming his senses.

He paused a moment to put each foot down several times on the solid ground, as if to be certain it was truly there. He kept his distance from the summoner—but close enough that he could still follow. Hersí walked slowly for several minutes as if he were trying to get his bearings. Munif took advantage of Hersí's momentary idleness and slipped into a nearby fruit stall.

Munif was finishing a slice of sweet melon, licking the juice off the fingers and wiping the corners of his mouth with the heel of his palm when suddenly Hersí took off running. Munif hesitated for a moment before tossing the melon rind away and racing after the summoner. He was well aware that Hersí, feigning languor, had been watching him all along. The chase took Munif down a narrow alley that avoided the central market, toward the more distant quarters of Tivisis.

As Munif followed, the foot traffic flowed easily; it required very little effort to keep the distinctive black robe in sight. Within minutes, the summoner came to a stop and knocked on the door of an undistinguished two-story building. Munif strained to see who had let Hersí in, but to no avail; he was unable to glimpse the entrance from where he was standing.

Sighing, Munif studied his surroundings in an attempt to identify where the chase had led him. He stretched, feeling the pulled muscles and pop of aging joints. An overwhelming urge to abandon his task hit him hard.

He could feel the sweat beading on his face, the dryness in his mouth despite the succulent melon; the slight tremor in his hands. And he knew his symptoms weren't due to the oppressive heat, or to fear.

No—there was only one reason for them, and only one solution.

Affyram would soothe his nerves—take the edge off a bit. He could partake and escape for a while. It would be easy to find a provider—surely there was one within sight of the building. The summoner wasn't going anywhere.

He had time—

It would be so pleasant—but Munif shook his head.

No.

The demon would have to wait.