Chapter Seven: To Impress

“My aunt said that whatever he took didn’t react right with the medication he takes for his eye, so that’s why he had that reaction. He honestly could have died,” Laura said, following Daniel down the hallway. The teen looked at her.

“But it left him comatose?”

“Yeah, he’s still in the ICU. I feel so bad for his mom...”

Daniel stopped when at his locker, but he paused before opening it. On the locker door was FAG, written in red from a fat sharpie. Laura gasped.

“What the hell? Who did that?” she exclaimed, looking around the hallway. Daniel ignored it and opened his locker, but it seemed ignorance wasn't allowed.

A bunch of photos came tumbling from his locker of dicks and gay men, either posing for some gay photoshoot or in the act of sex. This made Daniel look around, to see if anyone else was looking. There were bystanders who had been watching from the beginning, snickering, and more people stopped walking in the hallway to murmur curiously. Kaiden was laughing.

“Look, he’s a faggot!” the teen called, and people started laughing. Laura got red faced.

“I’m getting Mr. Grey,” she said and turned from Daniel to storm off down the hall. Mr. Grey, aka: the principle, double aka: Meat Head.

A few teachers seemed to be coming out of their rooms already, and some of the crowd started to disperse to avoid getting into trouble. Just some, though; most stayed and had to be ushered away by the advisors.

Daniel knelt to start picking up the fallen photos.

There was a distant voice that said “I’ll stay and help”, and then there were footsteps that approached, and the teen knelt in front of Daniel.

He looked up to see Joe. He had neat black hair and blue eyes, and he gave Daniel a meek smile.

“...Sorry about the bird thing.”

Daniel quirked an eyebrow, watching him. He tilted his head slightly. “Why be sorry? You seemed to be having fun.” His words made Joe look down.

“..Well, you're not really a… bad guy.”

“You're wanting me to be your friend, is that it?” Daniel asked. Joe gave an awkward nod and slight shrug of the shoulders.

“Yeah.. I guess.”

“Would you make Morrison or Kaiden eat a dead animal with possible diseases?”

Joe looked back up at Daniel, eyebrows furrowed and eyes saying he was confused, because Daniel didn't have the nerve to speak up like that. At least, that's what he'd thought. He didn't answer.

“Would you kick them in the head?” Daniel asked, watching as Joe paused while picking up a picture.

“...No.”

Daniel leaned forward on his knees. “Then are you sure friendship is what you want from me?”

Joe cleared his throat. “Daniel, I'm sorry about… kicking you and stuff, but-” He grabbed another photo, but his hand jerked from his nerves and he accidentally touched Daniel’s wrist. Daniel didn’t seem to notice.