thirty-one

I'm so sorry it's been so long

I'm so sorry it's been so long. When I tell you I didn't mean to ghost this story for THREE whole years, you have to believe me. But honestly I have written objectively better things than this so please go check it out. PLEASE.

***

Aggravated, Stephen tells Kyle and Devin to leave. He is mad this time, almost as mad as when I found those pictures in the red room, but at least this time his anger is not directed at me.

Well, not all of it at least.

Devin and Kyle left and the house is eerily quiet without them. I know they are gangsters, but I can't help but like having them around. Their presence adds life to the steely house and it reminds me that I am not alone in this twisted universe, even if they were part of it.

Stephen's house is just so large and empty all the time with just the two of us. It's silly because when I was younger I always dreamed about living in a huge mansion with my prince charming but all this extra space is tiresome and honestly wasteful.

At this point I am surprised Devin and Kyle don't just live here considering how often they seem to come over and how close knit whatever mafia they are in seems to be.

I shower quickly and plop onto the bed. My eyes close and I fall asleep.

After my nap, I continue to lay there, praying that Stephen isn't mad anymore, though I know he is actually really good at holding a grudge. The last I saw of him before I showered, he was in his office typing a storm on his laptop.

Stephen walks into the room suddenly with a towel around his waist and his hair dripping.

He was so quiet I didn't even hear him shower.

"You're up." He says quietly and I nod in response.

He walks back to the bathroom after grabbing some clothes and he shuts the door.

Stephen walks out of the bathroom dressed in gray sweats and an unbuttoned red flannel.

"How's everything coming along? Like what you guys have been working on," I ask, curiously

"How's everything coming along? Like what you guys have been working on," I ask, curiously. I don't really know what it is they do. What does one do actually when they are in the mafia? They all work very hard at it and by Stephen's house, he obviously well off.

"Good. Devin can't do anything though, he's still in training,"

My eyebrows raise in confusion.

"What do you mean he's still in training?"

"It means he's only a shadow. Right now the police think that there are only nine men involved, but soon there will be ten once he completes his training. Why do you care?" he asked defensively.

"Just curious,"

I look down at my lap and play with my fingers and the edge of the blanket. Ever since Kyle came, Stephen has been weird about me asking to many questions about Devin and Kyle. And I don't think the incident in the kitchen helped.

***

The weekend flows by quickly and soon Kyle, Devin and Stephen are upstairs in the office. If this week is anything like the last week then I should have some time to speak to Devin privately when he comes down to get water or food or whatever it is gangsters need when they do office work.

I wait patiently for Devin to come down as I absentmindedly watch another episode of 'Archer'. I don't even know what's going on. I'm too focused on the questions that I want to ask Devin, most of them regarding his 'shadow' status.

An hour later someone walks into the kitchen. I whip my head around from the couch and to my excitement, it's Devin.

"Devin," I say brightly and he seems pleased by my chipper attitude.

"Hey sunshine," he smiles.

"I need ask you a few questions," I say shyly, and slowly walk towards.

A guarded expression comes over his chiseled and tanned face for a few seconds before it is replaced by his normal, pleasant, smile.

"What kind of questions?" he asks, leaning his body in towards me, curiously.

"Stephen told me how you were in training?" I say, but it comes out as a question because I need his validation.

"Yeah,"

I fiddle with my fingers nervously trying to get the other questions out, struggling to organize my mind.

"Did you choose to do this then? To be a part of a mafia? Like, did you apply somewhere?"

Devin lets out the most genuine laugh I've ever heard. His head tilts back and his hands move over his stomach.

"Yeah, I emailed them and asked them when try outs were,"

His sentence comes out choppy, laughing and snorting every other word. After a few seconds of his laughter, I realize my question was really stupid. After two minutes, I realize that maybe I am stupid.

"Okay, okay, I get it." I say, rolling my eyes at his antics.

Devin wipes a tear away as his laughter dies down, "You think people apply to be in the mafia? Like you apply for a job at McDonalds?" He starts erupting into another set of guffaws and I feel my cheeks turn pink with embarassment.

"That's real cute, sunshine," he chuckles looking down at me and lightly nudging my cheek with his knuckle.

I cross my arms and sulk at him. Devin notices my expression and sobers, but a ghost of a smile is still on his face. After a few more moments, he sighs.

"The real answer is I was born into it."

"Do you like it?" I ask, looking up at him.

His expression hardens and he looks down at me as though he's never seen me before. His eyebrows furrow with confusion. A piece of his golden blond hair falls in his face but he doesn't fix it, he just continues to stare at me with his deep sea colored eyes.

"Why are you asking this all of the sudden? Do you want to join the mafia?" his voice is filled with apprehension.

I shake my head frantically, "of course not. I'm just curious."

"But," I start again, "Do you like working in the mafia?"

His stares at me, blankly before his mouth parts to answer. But before he can, Kyle walks in and staring between Devin and I.

"What was so fucking funny?"

///

i hope i have you all shook. i hope you continue to read the story. i hope it ended the way you liked it and before i say anything more, this is NOT the last chapter but we are semi-close to the end.

also if you would like a sequel, I am considering it, so please comment if you want one.

^^^^^
Okay I dont know when I wrote that note but I'm assuming I was 14/15. Maybe 13. I'm 21 now 😭