Breath of Water

SPLASH! Two kids sprinted towards the Caribbean and plunged into the waves, soaking Nadia and Anais as they walked by.

"I'll make them pay for a new phone," Nadia muttered as she furiously wiped the water off of her phone.

"Calm down, a few drops won't hurt it," laughed her cousin.

Nadia looked at her and grinned. "When you're old enough to have a phone, you'll understand the things you'll do for your baby."

Anais just snorted. She threw her towel and flip flops down on a nearby chair and ran towards a small group of children, shouting "Cannonball!" as she jumped in.

Nadia chuckled and sank into a beach chair. She closed her eyes and took in a deep breath of fresh, salty air. As the breeze brushed her face and the gentle waves crashed on the shore, she emptied her mind and allowed the waves to lull her into a meditation, syncing her breath to the rhythm of the waves. After a long moment, she cracked open her eyes and watched the Caribbean break on the shore. Its waves beckoned to her, tempting her with their power and dolphins and little fish and smooth sand.

Maintaining her even breath, Nadia stood up and walked towards the beach. Children and adults alike darted out of her way, as if noticing the intensity of her actions. When she reached the shore, she waded in until the sea reached her waist. After sucking in a deep breath, she dove in.

Nadia drifted there for several seconds, letting the waves carry her wherever they chose to take her.

Without warning, Nadia suddenly felt herself shoved towards the sand. Gasping, she forced off the large woman that had fallen on her and broke the surface.