chapter two

" but we'll take what comes
take what comes "

Ginny said nothing as she stared at the night sky, all-too aware of the hand that was inside her own

Ginny said nothing as she stared at the night sky, all-too aware of the hand that was inside her own. Everything felt alright in that moment, even as she was waiting to see if her brothers were still alive.

"It's them!" Hermione cried suddenly as a broom materialized above herself, Ginny, Harry, Lupin, and Hagrid.

Ginny shouted in a surprised happiness as the broom spiraled to the earth, sending its riders to the ground. Tonks hit the ground hard, but she was standing a moment later.

"Remus!" she cried, falling directly into her husband's arms. Lupin's face was white and pale, but he still caught her.

Ron staggered to where Hermione, Harry, and Ginny were standing as the couple reunited. His eyes looked murky and confused as he searched their faces. He spoke only when he saw Hermione.

"You're okay," he murmured to her.

Hermione didn't waste time with words; she jumped for him, instantly wrapping him into a hug. "I thought — I thought," she stammered into his shoulder.

Ginny grinned to herself. It was bound to happen, after all. They had been fighting for years and after last year. . .it only made sense for them to get together. No matter how many times a blushing Hermione insisted that she did not fancy Ron.

"'M all right," Ron told Hermione while rubbing her back, a small smile somehow etched onto his face. "'M fine."

With Fred, Ron, and George back, that only left Bill as Ginny's missing sibling. But if Ron wasn't dead, then Bill wouldn't be either. There was still hope.

"Ron was great," Tonks gushed. "Wonderful. Stunned one of the Death Eaters, straight to the head, and when you're aiming at a moving target from a flying broom —"

"You did?" Hermione interrupted, staring up at Ron with her arms still around his neck.

"Always the tone of surprise," Ron said, almost grumpily. He broke free from Hermione and looked around the lawn as if noticing it for the first time. "Are we the last back?"

"No," responded Ginny instantly, the familiar sense of anxiety washing over her. "We're still waiting for Bill and Fleur and Mad-Eye and Mundungus. I'm going to tell Mum and Dad you're okay, Ron."

Keeping her gaze determinedly away from Harry, Ginny turned on her heel and sprinted back to the house.

"Mum! Dad!" she shouted as she bounded up the steps. "Ron's back! He's fine, and so is Tonks! They're both alive and back!"

Mrs. Weasley released a happy cry, and stood up from her spot beside George. She hugged Ginny tightly.

"Where is he?" she asked. "Oh, never mind, I'm being silly. Arthur, are you coming with us?"