chapter three

" i must confess
how hard i tried to breathe
through the trees of loneliness "

" i must confesshow hard i tried to breathethrough the trees of loneliness "

The next few days passed by in a rushed hurry that was instigated by Mrs. Weasley's brutal determination to prepare the house for the wedding and to separate Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Quite often, both these goals were accomplished at the same time.

"I think Mum thinks that if she can stop the three of you getting together and planning, she'll be able to delay you leaving," Ginny admitted to Harry one night as they set the table for dinner together.

"And then what does she think's going to happen," Harry scoffed. "Someone else might kill off Voldemort while she's holding us here making vol-au-vents?"

Ginny's blood turned cold as she stared at the boy. She had suspected it, of course, and it only made sense. But she didn't want to admit it to herself, that Harry would be leaving to try and kill Voldemort. Without her.

"So it's true?" she asked, hating how the words came out clumsily. "That's what you're trying to do?"

A flurry of emotions raced across Harry's face as he scrambled for words. "I — not — I was joking!" he insisted, though his face turned a violent shade of crimson.

But Ginny could only stare at Harry, the silverware laying forgotten on the table. This was the first time they had been alone together in months, but all Ginny could see was The-Boy-Who-Lived. Not the Harry that she had grown to care for, but the Harry Potter that waited in the Black Lake to ensure that a stranger and his friend were rescued. The Harry Potter that risked his life just to save someone else. The Harry Potter who was an annoyingly noble hero. Ginny could only see the lightning scar on his forehead, the scar that had started everything.

Ginny wanted to say something. She wanted to tell Harry that she understood what it was like to hate something with your entire being, what it was like to want someone dead. But, most of all, she wanted to ask him to take her with him when he went to kill Voldemort.

But before Ginny could say anything, the door swung open, causing both teenagers to jump in surprise. Bill, Mr. Weasley, and Kingsley walked in, oblivious to the unspoken words ringing in Ginny's mind.

Later that evening, Ginny somehow found herself sitting beside Harry at dinner. Her house was more crowded than ever, seeing as the Burrow had somehow replaced Grimmauld Place as headquarters for the Order. As they ate, Ginny couldn't help but notice the way Harry shifted himself away from her to avoid their arms brushing.

A deep ocean seemed to swallow Ginny as Harry asked Bill a question, which was clearly a part of his plan to avoid Ginny. There was something broken that stood between Harry and Ginny, something that they both tried to ignore. It had been there ever since they had broken up

"And they still haven't called a hearing about all the underage magic I used escaping the Death Eaters?" Harry asked Mr. Weasley loudly, drawing Ginny's attention.