« Chapter Six »

Ryan's POV

Stella sat in the booth across from me. She was nervous, I could tell by the way she kept playing with her necklace and her foot shook underneath the table. It took all I had to not reach across the table to take her hand.

She had no reason to be nervous with me.

I looked down at the menu and ordered my favorite, the Sunrise Burger. It was loaded with hash, bacon, peppers, onions, cheese, piled on a burger with an egg on top. It was so fucking delicious. It was my go to when I needed to sobered up, and that's exactly what I needed in this moment.

Stella had no idea how intoxicating it was to be here with her.

"I'll have the mac 'n cheese and a Dr. Pepper." I laughed, I honestly thought she would order some salad. It was clear I don't know her at all. I liked how she took me by surprise. "What?" she said defensively, "it's cold out."

"I didn't say a word." I rolled my eyes anyways, knowing it would get to her. Stella wrinkled her nose up at me and huffed. It was adorable.

After the waiter took our order, I took my hat off and ruffled my hair and when I caught her eye, she was biting her lip. I groaned inwardly, that shouldn't be such a turn on.

"About last night," I tried, watching her reaction and seeing blush creep up her neck. I hesitated for a second, I didn't know how to go on.

"Um, yeah," she took a drink of her soda. "Thanks for catching me. My luck I would have crashed and end up in the ER needed stitches from the glass."

"We wouldn't want that." I smiled.

"No, we wouldn't."

Silence stretched between us until our food got to the table. Neither of us brought up the kiss and I'm kinda grateful she's not asking me. I wouldn't know what to say.

"So, tell me, the guitar? When did that become a thing?"
"That thing has a name."
"You name your guitar?"

"Yes, and her name is Amelia. She gets very jealous when pretty girls take my attention away from her." I winked and Stella just rolled her eyes. I liked how I can be my playful self with her. "Last summer I stumbled upon her in an thrift shop. I didn't know how to play or anything, but I knew I had to buy it." I shrugged, taking a bite of my sandwich and thinking about how much this guitar has changed my life. "I was in a dark place, to be honest. I needed an outlet of sorts and learning to play was it for me. From there I started to write and sing and now I do open mic around campus for some extra cash. If it wasn't for the fact that a freak thunderstorm caused me to run into that thrift shop, I don't even know I'd be sitting here today."

"Oh, wow. It's funny how things happen like that, isn't it? I have a similar story. I was teased a lot in high school, so I never went out and did anything. Plus I was such a busy body with my school work. I had to be the best." She shook her head and rolled her eyes at herself. "Anyways, my parents noticed how down I was getting. I started to lose enjoyment in things and just stayed in my bedroom most days. Christmas morning came and I got a camera. The moment I picked it up my world changed."

I watched her personality bloom in front of me as she told me how differently she sees things now. I know exactly what she meant and I was shocked to find this connection.

"It's your muse. Your go to when things are falling down around you. You know it's always going to be there."
"That's exactly what it is." Our eyes met, the connection between us growing stronger and stronger. My eyes fell down to her lips as her tongue darted out to lick them. I know I shouldn't be thinking about kissing her right now, how soft her lips felt against mine. How perfect she'd fit in my arms.

"Ryan?"

"Sorry?"

"Daydreaming about Amelia?" She joked. No, Stella, not even close. "Anyways, ready to head out? You never did answer my question from earlier, are you going to the game?"

"Yes, and later. I have to run a few errands, but I'll be there."

"Oh, okay then." She looked dejected for a moment but quickly gave me a smile, but I promised her I'd be there.

I followed Stella out of the pub, my hand on her lower back so I wouldn't get separated from her. The bars around here on game day always filled up with fans and students the moment they open up. Happy Valley was the place to be.

"Well, it was nice running into you again. Well, not physically like I always do, but you know what I mean. And thanks for lunch." She was rambling which was not like her at all. It must be a nervous tick. I'll file this away for later. "See you later?" I smiled and nodded my head. She turned to leave and I grabbed her arm, pulling her close to me.

Just like last night her eyes darted down to my lips. She sighed, melting against me as I leaned down and gently pressed my lips against hers.

Kissing Stella was becoming my favorite thing to do.

~*~

A/N:  Like I promised, another chapter posted this week!! Thank you for all of your lovely comments. They make me so happy! Love you guys!!