5. sting!

He doesn't know it's me, right?
I have changed:
My hair is longer.
I look sickly to the point of death.
The bags under my eyes make me unrecognizable.

Yet, he gave me that cold and collected stare, as if he knew me. He would have said something, but did not. He didn't hesitate when Nero introduced me as (y/n). Then again, the blade had my name engraved on it.

...He's playing along. But for what?

Her chapped lips curve upward at the thought. This very thought erases the undying migraine she possessed, but not for long. A racing heart and the tingling sensation throughout her body felt nice, even if it was temporary.

Nero walks into the dining room with the smell of alcohol reeking from his pores. He takes a seat in front of (y/n) and starts to stuff all food in his sight.

(y/n) could only stare at her small portion. The thought of eating turned her stomach. She wants to eat, but eating could go two ways: she would successfully take a few bites and be content or take the bite and end up feeling nauseous and weak. The thought of nauseousness consumes her mind, so she simply drinks water and a few grapes. She would eat in the morning.

But for now, it was Nero, Frate and (y/n) at the diner table. It was the first night eating without Fio, so (y/n) felt a tad lonely.

After the three siblings were finished with their meals, Vanno enters through the dining halls doors and asks to talk to Nero in the hallway.

Frate does not seem interested in what the two were speaking about, but (y/n) was another story. Frate left the room and she stood up from her chair. She places her ear on the door and tries keep up with the conversation.

"Avilio agreed to take out Fango. The boy has never had blood on his palms, but he agreed in seconds." Vanno says. "But with the condition that he joins our family."

Nero takes a few seconds to form an answer, "That is a bold statement. Let's see how dedicated he is to the family." He lets out a low chuckle and the men continue the conversation.

(Y/n) leans on the door and slides herself onto the floor. Thoughts came and left her head in a matter of seconds. What was Avilio trying to prove? What was his motive? What does he want to gain?

She only knew his real name, but not the past behind it. She swore to never let that name leave her lips in case it caused controversy in the house. Knowing the Vanetti's past, there had to be a history.

"This reunion could not be a coincidence. There is no way how the past I tried hiding is resurfacing, not to mention that that past has been hiding so much. At what cost? Something is driving him to the edge." The youngling whispers to herself. Letting her thoughts roam out of her mouth will not give her answers, but will help determine what she wants to do.

And she wants to follow Avilio's path. She wants to fill in the gaps and see the outcome of an old 'brother.'

"Avilio...Avilio...Angelo..." The name finally escapes her trembling lips.

At what lengths will you go to bury your past? Or are you protecting it?