Burning Passion

Bedsheets flew as the woman shot up, sweat dripping from her forehead. The furnace under her sheets had given way to the cool breeze that flowed through her window. Her breathing was as heavy as it was in the dream, her heart still pained. She took a few deep breaths to try and calm herself down, and as futile as it had sounded to her those days ago, it was surprisingly effective. The sheets shifted next to her, the woman who had died quite literally at the man's hands was now looking at her.

"Fjorm, what's wrong?" She sat up, pressing a pillow beneath her weight. "Are you okay?"

Fjorm shook her head and took another deep breath. It was shaky, but it got the job done. "I'm fine Sharena, I had a bad dream. You, Alfonse, and Anna were all dead at Surtr's feet, and everything was on fire."

"Oh Fjorm." The woman, Sharena, pulled Fjorm into a tight embrace. "We're still here, we're all safe. Surtr is long dead, you don't need to worry about him anymore."

Fjorm sighed, leaning her head against Sharena. "I'm well aware." Tears began to fill her eyes as she hugged Sharena tight. "I just can't stand the thought of losing you. I love you too much!"

"I love you too Fjorm, which is why I vowed to protect you." Sharena rubbed the ring on Fjorm's finger gently, "Remember?"

"Thank you. If I remember correctly, I vowed to protect you as well." Fjorm chuckled, her hands finally unclutching the bedsheets, which had become damp with her sweat. "I'm sorry that I'm such a poor bedmate."

"I signed up for it, no need to apologize."

The two stayed in their embrace until they fell asleep once more, the gentle light of the sunrise barely peeking over the horizon. Their fight against Surtr had ended long ago, but they could never forget the lives that were lost and painful memories that had appeared in their place. Moments before she fell asleep, she silently whispered a thanks into Sharena's ear, and for the first time in years she genuinely felt safe.