Chapter One

The beginning of summer was around the corner and spirits were high as the season brought a bit of relaxation. At least for a few months. Everyone would be on a break of some sort and in an odd sense, Demetrius Acosta cherished that. His friends would have more time off work than they normally had all year and with Luka and Gabby being away at college, summer gave them a chance to come back home.

He grabbed the cooler from the trunk of his Jeep and followed Gloria inside Chris and Lacey's house. It was time for the annual kick-off to summer cookout they held every year. It was always certain to be a wonderful time, but this year, he had the woman he loved with him. Which made it so much more special. She had helped him through some of the hardest times over the last few years. She was his back bone for sure and gave the house more spunk than it'd had in years.

"Hey brother, you can set the cooler out back." Chris directed the flow of bodies onto the porch out back as he sipped the Pepsi in his hand

Demetrius nodded and once they set down the stuff they'd brought, Lacey greeted them both with a hug. It was evident from her tired eyes that her kids kept her busy, but her warm smile never wavered.

"Gloria! I'm so glad you could make it!"

Lacey lead her over to where the women were huddled by the bonfire. Nia lifted her glass in Demetrius's direction to welcome him and he smiled before heading into the kitchen to meet up with Chris and Greyson.

"It's great Gloria was able to make it." Greyson manned the chef salad on the counter

It was tradition on this cookout that the men would do all the cooking, while the woman relaxed. It was something that had become second-hand nature at this point.

"That's what I've been hearing since we got here." Demetrius starred down Chris

"Hey, I don't know why you're looking at me. I just want to make sure everyone feels welcome here." He smiled slyly as he cut the potatoes into chunks for the mashed potatoes

"I'm pretty sure she already feels that way. We've been together for six months, remember? She's already met all of you." Demetrius chuckled while he began seasoning the steaks

"And she's still with you?!", Chris teased, "She's definitely dedicated. I'll give her that."

Demetrius playfully shoved Chris and the guys chuckled. Just then, Landon and Zander came running through the kitchen. They had grown so much over the last eight years. They reminded him so much of Luka and Gabby at that age in so many ways. He missed those days. They went by too fast.

"Hey, boys! No running in the house. You know the rules."

"Sorry dad, I'm just trying to show Zander how to be more manly." Landon bucked out his chest and made the motion of flexing his muscles

It took everything in Demetrius not to laugh out loud right then and he could see the guys were struggling with the same thing.

"Your brother is very manly." Chris confirmed

"Then how come he never wants to play cops and robbers the right way."

"Just because I don't want to shoot you doesn't make me a bad cop." Zander said as he folded his arms across his chest

"Buddy, you know it's just pretend, right?" Chris smiled

"Not to me!"

"Okay, okay. Fair enough. Maybe you could be the robber then and Landon can be the cop."