Chapter Ten

It had been a three-hour drive, but Chris was finally back home. He sighed as he stepped out of the limo and onto his good leg. He grabbed his crutches and wobbled toward the front door. It wasn't that he didn't want to be home. He couldn't wait for later tonight to be in his wife's arms. There was just an overwhelming sense of failure that filled every aching bone in his body. For the first time in a long time, his muscles burning with each step he took only made him angrier. It was as if his own body was mocking all his failed dreams.

He made his way up to the porch and almost walked through the front door when he stopped. The image before him literally took his breath away. Front the big front window, he saw the most beautiful woman he's ever seen. Every time he saw her, it was like he was seeing her for the first time. And she was all his. He didn't realize just how much he'd missed her until just now.

She was sitting on the floor, cradling Brooke, who had fallen asleep. His baby girl looked so precious sleeping, unware of anything going wrong in her world. So peaceful. Nearby were Landon and Zander rolling their toy cars on the floor. Lacey laughed at something they had said and it made his heart skip a beat.

This is something he would remember forever. For an instant, he forgot about his flushed dreams and hurting knee. For an instant, everything was whole and okay with the world. Regardless of what happened out in the world, this was his life. God had given him a greater blessing than he could ever imagine. He needed to remember that.

He threw his bag over his shoulder and walked through the front door, where everyone froze in their tracks. A second later, the boys were up and jumping toward their father.

"Boys, be gentle. Daddy isn't feeling good." Lacey warned as she walked over

"How are my strong men! I missed you boys so much!" Chris bent down to give them hugs

"I hope you aren't mad that we stayed up past our bedtime. We just wanted to see you." Zander beamed

"I'm glad you did!"

"You were away for a long time, dad. But, we saw you on TV! Did you win any awards?" Landon asked

The innocent question from his son hurt more than he was willing to admit, but he did his best to smile at the two of them.

"Why don't you boys go up to bed and I'll tell you all about when I come tuck you in."

"Okay!" The boys raced up the stairs

Lacey walked over he kissed her on the forehead. He took Brooke from her arms and kissed his daughter on the cheek. She was so small and yet, getting so big as each day passed. Suddenly, he felt his emotions overcoming him and when he looked at Lacey, it almost nearly overtook him. He took Brooke back to bed and then headed up to say goodnight to the boys. He wasn't ready to face Lacey yet.

Once all the kids were tucked away for the night, Chris came down the stairs slowly, to find Lacey waiting for him on the couch. He forced a smile that looked more sad than anything and plopped down next to the woman he loved. She was his rock. His backbone. The one he could cry to and vent to. But, right now he just felt so shattered, he didn't know what to do.

He wrapped his arm around her and looked her in the eyes, but couldn't get any words to come out. He eventually gave up trying and just shook his head. Tears began slowly falling from Lacey's eyes and that was all he could take. He couldn't hold back the flood of tears trying to force their way to the surface. He fell into Lacey's arms and just cried.

"Shh, it'll be okay, baby. It'll be okay. We'll get through this."

She repeated that until his crying subsided. He looked up at her, into her eyes. Only his piercing green eyes could pierce her soul the way they did. Oh, how she loved him.