{09.} Tough Cookies

CHAPTER NINE

Tough Cookies

- not yet edited -

- not yet edited -

The car sped through the curved road of the mountain, Tori's view out the window overlooking a valley of trees and rooftops. Chantal had convinced the driver to open the windows in the hopes that she could smell the nearby wineries. Instead of catching the scent of fermented grapes, she breathed in the sweetness of evergreens and wild flowers. The air was cooler and thinner this high into the mountains. In the distance, she could see the blue outline of hills and distant plains of Earth.

Her body leaned to the left and against the door as the driver made a wide turn onto a dirt road. The car rocked back-and-forth over the uneven terrain. She watched as the large trees vanished behind the window and were replaced by rocks and bushes with thin, needle-like bristles.

A house came into view at the end of the road. As the car approached the two-story house, she could see the fine details of its clay-colored walls and red tile roof. Beautiful vines crawled up the height of the house, their fingers sprawling above the square-paned windows.

The house was absolutely beautiful. It could be on a postcard, advertising its desert glamour to everyone. Through its windows, she could see glimpses of rustic decor: leather couches, wood tables and floors, and potted plants.

The car came to a stop at the side of the house and alongside three vans with darkly tinted windows. Chantal didn't seem to notice the other vehicles. She jumped out of the car as soon as the driver opened her door. Her shoes hit the Earth with a satisfying crunch. Instead of waiting for the driver, Tori slid her bottom against the leather of the seats and exited through Chantal's open door.

"Do you see this house?" Chantal said, overlooking the private grounds and surrounding view of mountains. "This is incredible. We have our own mountain." she said a little louder, her voice traveling in the breeze.

The familiar sound of a trunk opening brought their attention back to the car. The driver was putting their bags onto the road. Chantal rushed to the back of the car in time to grab her duffel bag before it could hit the ground.

"Thank you." she told the driver, and delivered a smile.

"You're welcome, Miss." He brought Tori's suitcase to the ground and then closed the trunk.

She took the handle of her luggage and started wheeling it toward the house. The wheels caught on the rocks and refused to budge. She tried pulling it again, using her back and weight to draw the wheels toward her. She was successful, but it didn't go without struggle.

They eventually made it to the door of the house, walking up the stone-lined path to the porch. Chantal knocked twice on the door.

Oddly enough, Tori wasn't having a panic attack. Her nerves were nowhere to be found: not in her stomach, not in her throat, and definitely not in her head. Instead, she felt an overwhelming sense of motivation and peace. It was almost like this was where she needed to be, and she felt eager to welcome this new beginning.