Chapter 1

My heart was racing.  My head was pounding.  Both my legs burned of pain.  I couldn’t catch my breath, I was breathing hard and fast.  I’ve been running for hours, in the woods. I stopped near a tree because i started feeling sick.  I could feel the bile rising in my throat. I couldn’t help but let it out.  I used the back of my hand to wipe my mouth.

“God, I’m not cut out for this," I mumbled to myself.

 I sat down and tried to catch my breath.  I opened the water bottle that I had in my right and drained the remains of it.  Putting the empty bottle beside, I laid back on the grass and looked towards the sky.

It was so quiet in the woods, you could hear the sound of a river nearby; I could also hear the beating of my heart.  I like the peace and quiet, it’s actually relaxing.  Closing my eyes, I sighed and breathed in the fresh air of the woods.  All I can smell is the dirt and grass.

SNAP!

I opened my eyes and sat straight up to see if anything or someone was around.  No one was around. I exhaled out, realizing I was holding my breath. I laid my back down but my body was stiff.

Maybe it was a small creature, I thought, or it was probably a branch that fell on top of another.

Naming the possibilities of what cause the snap helped me relax.  I closed my eyes once more, and drifted off into sleep.

****                                                                             ****                                                                          ****

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

 My eyes open to see the nighttime skies.  I realize my phone was ringing.  Before I could pick it up it stopped. It was my a miss call my mother.  I look at my phone to see the time was seven thirty. 

I slept for that long!

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

My mother was calling me again. This time I picked up.

“Hello?” I said, sitting straight up

“Zoey where are you?” My mom asked.  Her voice sounded calm but I detected a hint of worry among.

How do you tell your mom that you went running and fell asleep in the woods?

“Uhhh... I went running for alittle while and then I had to do some errands. I guess I lost, track of time,” I half lied.

My mother sighed, “Okay, just be home soon for dinner.”

“Okay love you, Mom,” I said.

“Love you, too. Bye.”

“Bye.” The call ended.

I got up and brush some dirt, that was one me, off.  Even though it was night, there was still some light given off the moon. The sky was clear; the moon, in clear view, was bright white and a full moon.

I started walking so I could get out of the woods.

SNAP!

I flinched and looked around.  There was no one insight.  I stood still and silent.  I heard the sound of more sticks snapping and getting closer.

Is someone following me?

I started walking, but a little faster this time.  I notice the faster I walked the closer the sound came.

I broke off running, dashing through the woods as fast as I could, dodging the trees and jumping over logs and rocks.  I didn’t look back, not even once.