Chapter 2

I walked into my house to smell the aroma of chicken, potato, and garlic. I could tell Mom was done with, done with dinner. When ever dinner was done, there is always the scent of cinnamon. I smile to know the smell that she made apple pie.

"Zoey, is that you?" Mom called from the kitchen.

"Yeah," I said, "Is dinner ready?" Although I already knew the answer.

I walked into the kitchen. Mom was setting the food on the table. She was wearing a purple t-shirt and black sweats. She had brown eyes and very fair tan-color skin. Her brown, strait hair was up in a bun. I had all my mom's features except her eyes. I had a golden blue eyes, which I develop from my dad, says my mom.

There really isn't much to say about my dad. He left my mom before I was born. And my mom hasn't heard from him ever since. He did send checks to us once a month up until I was thirteen, and that was it. I'm not upset that I grew up without a dad. But here's to say is the only thing that I think when people mention the word 'dad' is asshole.

 When she was finished she looked up at me, and she asked "So do you want to eat now or after you change?"

There was emptiness in my stomach and I felt the gnawing for food.

"Now," I replied.

I felt stuff by the time I finished eating. My stomach was filled with half of mash potatoes and a quarter of chicken, and vegetables seasoned with garlic.

"Thanks Mom," I said getting up from the table and kissing her on the cheek.

"You're welcome," she said, "Don't forget to put your plate in the sink."

I did as I was told and left the kithen, heading upstairs to my room. I wanted to change, but I was too exhausted. I only manage to take off the hoodie I was wearing.

Wait, I don't remember wearinga hoodie this morning, I thought to myself.

It was black, and come to think of it, it was too big to fit me perferctly. I finally realized it was Drake's hoodie. 

While we were walking to the back of his house, I started to shiver; although it was close to summer it can cold at night. All I was wearing was a red sports bra and black shorts. Drake gave me his hoodie. I tried to refuse, but he insisted; so I had no choice but to take it.

Now all I could think about was what happened tonight and Drake. But mostly Drake. Just thinking his name made me smile, I must be stupid that I might be falling for a guy that I just met. I don't know but there something about Drake that is familiar.

The next morning was strange. My mom was at work, it was a Saturday. I was in the kitchen cooking myself breakfast and the doorbell rang.

I walked to the door, turned the knob, and opened it. My eyes went wide as saw, a smiling, Drake standing in front of me.

"Hi," he said.

"Hi," I replied hearing the confusion in my voice.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

" I thought I'd stop by and see how you're doing," he said, " Can I come in?"

I was caught off  guard, but without even hesitating, I said, " Sure." I stepped aside and let him in.

"How did you know where I lived? I never told you."

" You don't remember do you, Zoey," he said. It didn't sound like a question.

I, slightly, cocked my head to the side, " What do you mean?"

"I used to visit you when we were little," he said," I'm not surprise you don't remember. Not to mention I moved and you stopped talking to me."

I looked at Drake. I mean really looked at him. All of a sudden a memory shot into my mind.

"Zoey, why are you crying?"

I looked up to the voice, my vision was blurry with tears. I wiped them away and saw a younger version of Drake, probably seven years old.

"Drake do you have to leave?" I asked.

He nodded sadly. 

"Will you be gone forever?" I asked. 

He sighed. "I don't know, but I want you to have this to remember me." He pulled out something from his pocket. It was a charm bracelet.

"Thanks," I said, smiling through my sadness. 

"Oh and this," he gave me a square thin object. It was a picture of the two of us. We had our arm draped around each other smiling. I looked at the back showing the date we took and it said "Best Friends Forever."

More memories flashed across my mind of Drake and I, when we were seven. Times we played together, such as hide-and- seek or bike riding along the streets. There were memories where we comfort each other in one's needs.

"Zoey?" hearing Drakes voice pulling me out of the memories, snapping me back into the present.

"I remember," I whispered.

"Excuse me?" Drake said confusingly.

I looked at him, "I remember you, but only when we were seven."

He smiled, and explain, "We were only seven when we met and when I left."

"Why did you leave?" I asked.

His smiled faded, he hesitated on the question, "Let's just say my mom didn't like the area, and the kids aren't too good of an influence."

Moonlight Falls doesn't have the best people to hang around, but our school has the best education. The town isn't bad, but you have to know the right people to trust. I learned that the hard way growing up.

I nodded, in understanding, to Drake.

We stood by the entrance in silent for five minutes. I cleared my throat, and opened my mouth to say something, but Drake spoke before I could even get a word out.

"Is something burning?"

I smelled the air, and something was burning. I just didn't know what it was. Then I realize what it was.

"Crap!" I said out loud.

Without giving a quick explanation to Drake, I turned on my heel and ran from him. I went into the kitchen and quickly turned off the stove. I now stared at burnt scrambled eggs, which looked like charcoal. I sighed taking the pan from the stove and dumping the eggs into the garbage, then went to put the pan in the sink.

"Was that your breakfast?"

I flinched back. I forgot for a second Drake was still here.

I turned towards him, with a friendly smile, "Yeah, but it's no-" 

"How 'bout I take you out breakfast," he offered. "Only if you're not busy, that is."

I could feel my mouth drop. Is it me or does every word Drake says catch me off guard?

"Umm... That's so nice of you, but you don't have to," I said.

He grinned, "It's fine. Come on it'll be my treat."

I smiled, "Is 'yes' my only choice to say?"

He pretended to think for the answer, and then replied, "Yeah, pretty much."

i thought about it. i glanced at him to see his eyes pleading silently to say "Yes". It made me want to laugh, he looked like a kid begging his mother to buy cookies from the store. I thought for another minute before I answered. 

"Sure, it's just breakfast," I said, "Besides I don't remember the last time I've been to the town's diner."

Drake smiled from ear to ear, pleased with my answer.

"Great," he said.

I smiled back.