Pretending

As my goofy nature has wanted me to, I jumped at the news of being signed to the chunin exams and went to hug Kakashi-sensei.
He was tense, and wanted me to get off as soon as possible. The feeling right then and there was a feeling of rejection. Bitterness. Sadness.

My mask nearly slipped but I maintained my loud mouthed facade. Because I was not sure I could rebuilt my walls if they were to fall. Tz. How poetic that was. How idiotic.

Looking back at it, it was just wishful thinking. It was naive of me to think that maybe Kakashi-sensei could have been a father figure to me, as my deceased father was to him.
When I was beaten I had hoped that a man would come, a man who was my father who would protect me and take me away.
In a way someone did. He did his duty. Inu-san would rescue me from the brink of death most of the times and he'd bring me back to my apartment. But I had hoped that he'd stay. Maybe help keeping my nightly terrors away- just, just being there. Caring.
How greedy I was.

How greedy I am.

Now, ten years later, I am sitting next to the injured Anbu and watch over him. The one who tossed me away after he did his duty to make us Chunin. Well, some of us.
Sasuke had always been the apple of his eye at the very first moment. Hatake-san trained him, helped him and sometimes showed the boy his affection, ruffling his hair or bringing food to the last Uchiha. While on the other hand side, he rejected me. Disgusted by the demon. How weak- how much of a disappointment that thing is. The demon who took away his new father and mother figure.

I understand.
Still, it does nothing to alleviate my pain.

Inside I am weeping, but I cannot show weakness. Not as Anbu. Not as Ne. Not as the demon.

So I just silently listen to the man's ramblings. About two of his prized students.

„They are great. One, who now is one of the most powerful Ninja we have- he is currently living in Kumo, as he is making negotiations with them, taking part of an exchange program. The other, is one of the head medics, nearly as strong as Hokage-sama and has the potential to be an even greater medic-nin. I have never been more proud of them", Inu's voice passionate. This was one of the main differences between normal Anbu and Ne. The emotions. Sharing information. The brightness.

But now it was too late. No longer did I belong to the light- I became the roots in the shadows, to make sure that the others could thrive. Danzo-sama erased my identity and made me his most powerful weapon. I volunteered to be a shadow, so that no one else had to live like I did.

So I just nod, pretending that there was not a third member to the old Team 7.

The end.

That was it. Hope you liked it. I'd like to know your thoughts on that short drabble, so please review and comment!