The Mission

I don't go to training the next morning. I can't face anyone there. I just lay on Carters bed and stare at the wall. I can't sleep. If i sleep i'm met by nightmares. They've gotten more intense since the test. I hear a knock on the door, i quickly shut my eyes and pretend in a sleep. I hear the door open and then i hear footsteps coming toward me. I hear the sound of there metal dog tags. A Soldier. I hear them Neal down next to me and feel there hand inches from my head. I quickly grab his wrist before he can touch me.

"Sorry" I let go of Carters wrist.

"It's okay." We just sit there staring at each other. Finally i say,"Why are you back so early?"

"I didn't feel like staying." He smiles.

"I like it when you smile."

"I like it when you smile, you should do it more often."

"I don't have anything to smile for." He plants a light kiss on my lips.

"Smile for me." I should smile for him. He is very good reason to smile.

I lay on Carters bed with my head on his lap as i play with his dog chains and he plays with my hair. He smiles at me.

"What?" i ask.

"I think this is the first time i've actually seen you happy."

"Thanks. Between the nightmares and contestant reminder of my torture, i have every reason to be happy!" I say it sarcastically but he takes it seriously.

"I'm Sorry i couldn't get there sooner." He looks away, then back at me.

"How did you find out?"

"I walked into command one day and there you were one of the screens. Screaming." He looks sad.

"When was that?" i ask.

"A day before we rescued you." This time it's me who looks away.

"How did i look…when you found me?" It's a stupid question but i really want to know.

"Tarnished, Alone, Pale-"He cuts himself off. I grab his hand and say.

"Well i'm here now." He leans down and kisses my nose. I laugh and he does to.

We both end up falling a sleep and don't wake up till late the next morning. When we walk to breakfeast everyone stares and laughs. Then the girl tribute from Two walks up to me and thriws water in my face and say,"You gonna go and hide now!" and laughs.

I'm not taking this especially from her. As soon as i think it my fist connects with her Jaw.

She throws a punch but i dodge it before she can hit me. I knee her in the stomach, she falls to the ground. I kneel down next her and say,"How was that for a show?" I stand up and walk towards a table where Barley, Kiara, and the girl and boy from 1 are sitting. Carter sits down after me.

"What was that?!" He asks. i shrug my shoulders and Kiara and Barley laugh."What are y'all laughing about?"

"Lighten up Carter!" Barley say.

"She deserved it! You know she did!" Kiara say.

"That Doesn't give you the right ti hit her." Carter say to me.

"It gives me every right!" i snap.

"Whatever." He say. As we eat we talk about home. Half way through the conversation i remeber that i left some people behind back in 12.

My Family. My dad, Amanda, everybody.

"You want what?" President Coin demands.

"I want an organized plan to retrieve my family and Carters family from District 12." I say.

"And why should I do that?" Coin say.

"Because if you don't i will." I spit at her. She thinks about it then say.

"Fine but it's volunteer only, good luck getting anyone to help you." She laughs and turns around.

I sit at the dinner table waiting for Carter to walk in. He doesn't, none of the soldiers do. Finally Barley walks in looking stricken. When she sits down in front of me i can't stop myself from asking, "Barley what happen?" She shakes her head.

"What…nothings wrong."

"Wheres Carter?" i ask.

"Hes going to be at training late." i roll my eyes.

"Of course he wouldn't tell me…" She gives me a look and say.

"He told me to tell you he would be late." As we are eating, one by one, the soldiers start to file in. I have to ask Barley now.

"Barley can you go with me to 12 to get my famiy?"

"To 12?" i nod.

"Sure. Is it an authorized mission?"

"Of Course. Its volunteer only though. So i need a the help i can get." Kiara sits down next Barley.

"I'll go too." i look at her.

"I overheard you in command." I nod.

"Good so now i have two people going with me." I will need more than just Kiara and Barley to help me.