Chapter 2

It was around 10 am when I woke up. I was feeling refreshed and ready to start my day. I had a good feeling about the day ahead and didn’t want to waste a second of it. I got out of bed and stretched as my body switched into daytime mode. I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face. I kept my outfit simple and comfy.  I decided to wear a burgundy maxi dress with a pair of black gladiator sandals. I pulled my hair into a low ponytail. I swiped on some eyeliner and mascara to polish myself off and I was done. 

  Walking into the kitchen, I made myself an omelette accompanied by a peppermint tea. After finishing my breakfast, I packed my necessities into my purse and was on my way. My first stop was the spa. I walked into a room full of women indulging in different treatment and services.

  “What can we do for you Hun?”  The lady at the front desk asked.

  “A facial, manicure, hot oil treatment, and massage would be perfect.” I answered with a smile.

  “Sure thing, we’ll start off with the hot oil if that’s okay?” she asked

  I nodded as she led me towards the back of the room.  I was seated in a comfy plush chair as I waited for another woman to attend to me. I shifted deeper into the chair, getting as comfortable as possible. Within a few minutes a tall woman with short blonde hair came to my aid. We exchanged a few words as she mixed the oil and coated my hair with it. She then moved me into a private area filled with scented candles and soothing ocean sounds playing in the background. This was for my massage. I lay on my stomach on the cushioned table as woman massaged my neck, shoulders, and back. By the end, I was in complete bliss. My body felt like jelly.  The woman then proceeded to wash the oil out of my hair. She blow-dried and styled my curls to perfection. I thanked her for what she had done as she then lead me to the area where my facial and manicure would take place. Here, two women tended to me; one did my facial and one did my nails to perfect French tips.

  After the women had finished, I thanked them, paid and was on my way. $200 later, I was feeling great. My curls were soft and bouncy and my skin was glowing. It was a 25 minute walk from the spa to the mall, but the weather was fantastic so I didn’t mind. As much I loved my car, sometimes it was nice to just put in my headphones and take a walk. When I reached Eaton Centre, I immediately went looking in my favourite stores. An hour later, I had bought a grey form fitting dress from Aritizia, a pair of sandal wedges from H&M, and a leather jacket from Forever 21. I was feeling confident in my new purchases, and my mood was at an all-time high. I hadn’t felt this good in months. It was about 2 pm, and I was supposed to meet Jamila for 6. I walked once again back down to my condo.  The walking had me a little tired, but I knew the exercise was needed.

 I dropped my shopping bags onto the floor in my room. I studied myself in the mirror just as I had the next before. I no longer looked tired and dull; rather I was actually looking like myself again. I sat on the edge of the bed and flipped on the TV to check the weather for this evening. I changed the channel to cp24 and listened to the local news.  The weather panel at the top said that the evening would be 20 degrees with a warm breeze, and a small chance of rain. I sulked at the sound of rain. They had said small chance so I would keep my fingers crossed that the rain wouldn’t make its way into the city. I decided to give Jamila a quick call to ask her what she would be wearing this evening. Knowing her, she had her outfit planned out since she got home last night. I took my phone out of my purse and dialled her number.

  “Hello?” She answered. “Jay, what are you wearing tonight?” I asked her.

  “Girl, I bought these cute overalls that I was going to pair with some wedges. Oh, and I also bought a new purple lipstick that I’ve been waiting for the right occasion to wear.” She told me.