Chapter Six: What's Up With Her?

Yeah, so this chapter's kinda unnecessary. I just wanted to give you guys (and girls!) a break before the big dramas coming up in the next few chapters (dun, dun, DUN!!!) ... Enjoy!! :D

I'm stuck on what to call this chapter, any ideas?? I will select my favourite idea, and whoever suggests it will receive a dedication to this chapter!1

P.S. plzzzzzzzz comment/vote, it would mean SO much to me, you have no idea!

__________________________________________________________________________

The dress swings on the coathanger as I unzip the back. I tug it off and hold it up against my body. It’s a really pretty dress; it’s fuchsia with black mesh lining along the bottom. The back has straps that criss-cross over each other. The neckline is beaded and a thin piece of the beautiful material stretches from the back of my right shoulder to the front of my left. Where the strap meets the dress, there is a large fake flower.

I glance at the price tag. $545. Not bad.

I peel my clothes off and carefully pull the dress up over me and do up the zip. I take a deep breath, unlock the door and walk outside.

My friends whip their heads around when they hear me come out. ‘Oo!’ They purr, lightly touching the fabric. ‘That looks totally amazing, Miranda,’ says Georgia, a look of jealousy on her face. She quickly wipes the look away and flashes me a bright smile.

‘Really?’ I twirl around, look myself in the mirror. My eyes flick immediately to my rear.. I grin. This dress makes my butt look perfect: not too big, not too small. ‘Wow,’ I say. ‘I look beautiful.’

‘Sure do,’ Brianna shares a look with Georgia, but neither says anything.

I am just about to walk back into the change room when I see Noah. His mouth twitches into a smile when he looks at my dress.

‘Well, it’s hot in here, isn’t it?’ he says, his hand landing on my waist. ‘Hey, beautiful.’

I giggle. Noah’s face moves closer to mine and he gives me a peck on the lips.

A shop assistant appears at the entrance to the change room area just as I pull away. ‘Hi, Miranda,’ she says, and I instantly recognise her as my father’s receptionist’s daughter. ‘I thought I saw you in here.’

‘Hi Nicole. I didn’t know you worked here,’ I say, smiling.

She smirks. ‘I haven’t been here long. Mum got fed up with me shopping here all the time, so she made me get a job. Now I have an excuse to come here!’ She laughs. ‘Not that I can afford all this stuff anyway. The big boss doesn’t exactly like to pay his workers that much. I’m sure he would think the money is better spent on these stupid fancy coat hangers.’ She plays with a diamante-encrusted hanger that is holding a dress identical to the one I am wearing.

‘Well, that’s fair enough. They’re really pretty,’ I point out.

Nicole stares at me. ‘You actually like these things?’ She flings the dress off and thrusts the hanger in my face. ‘I mean, these diamante things fall off everywhere and I swear, some customers have even tripped over them. It’s ridiculous. And he doesn’t even let the customers keep them! He just puts some other piece of expensive clothing on it and puts it on a rack, for the whole thing to happen again.’

I raise my left eyebrow, watching in the mirror as it arcs perfectly upwards. ‘Okay, okay. I get it. Sparkly coat hangers are evil.’ I glance at my change room doorway. ‘Anyway, I’d better get this off. Me and the girls have some serious girl time to get to.’