Chapter 2: Why?

I thought of the thing that made me the most happy...
I saw River stare at me instantly after I put on a bit of a smile.
It wasn't much but I guess I pleased him.
*what river saw was a smile that could light the day with sparkles and squishy shit everywhere*

I looked back at him only from him to take my cheek into his hand. He felt warm. It was nice. I saw his eyes water up before he put his hand down and apologized.

"Sorry for that. You just... Remind me a lot of him. "
He says before taking another puff from his vape.

"Its alright. If you need anyone I'm here."
I say back to him sympathetically.

"Tch you act like a girl."

That hurt. That hurt a lot. Especially now.

"But I mean like, I dont have a problem with it. I think its kinda cute..."
He continued, trailing off toward the end. Wait did he just call me... Cute?

"Out of any other word you chose cute? I am not!"
I say to him while taking away his vape.

"Oh yeaaah of course! All the girls in the halls are gonna be saying 'oooo~ heess soooo cuuuuttteee~~'"

"Hey!! If anything your the cute one here!!"
I say to him while hes chuckling a bit. After I say that his smile drops and a light pink dusted across his face. Was he... Blushing?! Hes probably just embarrassed.

River could possibly be the one that liked me though... Right?

No way! He hated me for such a long time!! Its impossible. Unthinkable. Plus he's so obviously straight.

"Hey I'm River by the way... You?"

*PANIC PANIC*
(At the disco)
I haven't thought of a name... Well my initials spell out AJ. Alex Jackson.

"I'm AJ."

He took my hand and shook it. Hes still so warm. I had an urge to bring his hand up to my cheek again but decided its better not to.

"River!! I thought you said you'd stay with me at the assembly!~"
A girl yells from down the hall. She was petit with blue eyes and long blond hair. She wore a choker with leggings and a crop top. 100% slaying.

"Sorry."
He says taking the vape back continuing to vape.

"Aww whos this new cutie?"
She says while walking closer.

"I'm AJ. I suggest if you don't want a black eye you cut it put with the cutie shit."
I say back giving a disgusted look.

"Ohhh sassy!"
She says playfully while wrapping her arms around River.

"Who are you?"
I ask back fully knowing who this bitch is. I'm sure you could hear the annoyed tone in my voice.

"I'm Rivers girlfriend, Kealyn."
She says in a possessive manor. Her arms were all over him. Who gave her the right to touch my best friend? Oh right, no one! So back the fuck up.
God what am I thinking? River is a motherfucking cunt just like the rest of these bastards.

"You got a girlfriend? Oh or should I say boyfriend? You know you really shouldn't hit on someone whos taken."
She says in that generic popular girl voice. Shes a bitch. I fucking hate her.

"What are you talking about?"
I asked confused by what she meant by that.

"You were hitting on my river. I could so obviously tell so like, yeah."
She says back trying to be sassy and snarky but just ends up sounding cunt-ish.

I hate bitches like her. All full of themselves acting like they're the shit. Your not. Your just a fucking cunt like every other fucking cunt around you.

"If you'll excuse us, were going to be leaving now."
She said while dragging River with her to the nearest hall way. It wasn't to far. I could still hear them from where I was standing.

"River what the fuck were you doing? Just letting that whore talk to you?! TREAT YOU LIKE A GODDAMN GAME?! Your better than this!!"
I heard her yell and hid along the wall listening in.
I heard a slap.
Did he just hit her?! Thats-
I look around the corner and see it was her who hit River. She was beyond pissed. I was beyond pissed. Without thinking I turned around the corner and gave her a punch on her right cheek making it tear a bit and bleed.

"You fucking cunt. How dare you. Get out of here now."
I said. She didn't seemed frightened and got back up elbowing my stomach.
I gave a slight flinch and coughed trying to stay as stable as possible.

"What are you doing?! Trying to be all Knight in shining fucking armour?! Are you ready to whore yourself out for him?"
She says with a smirk.
I responded by punching her again in the same spot twice as hard and kneeing her stomach making her fall to the ground.

"People say, dont hit a girl. Theyre right. Make her fall to the ground and beg for mercy."
I say while kicking her chest.

I look back to see River in shock. I went over board. Way too over board. Oh god shes really hurt.
I look back one more time before running off into the other hall and locking myself in a supply closet.

I'm going to be in so much trouble. Maybe even legal shit. Why did I do that?! Why?!
I heard a knock on the door.

"H-Hey. Aj. Its River. I saw you run in here... "
I heard him say in a gentle voice. Is he not mad?
I decide to unlock it and let him in.
I close the door soon after he walked in. We sat in the corner. It was small so we were close together. Our knees were close to our chests and we sat there in a comfortable silence.
I leaned my head onto his shoulder. He didn't seem to mind.
I closed my eyes and dosed off there hearing the bell ring meaning it was lunch. We didn't leave though. We stayed in the supply closet all day.