14

Brad's POV

A couple of days later, Mike is struggling to stay awake during the day, he keeps yawning and forcing his eyes to stay open. Thanks when I realise that he's been avoiding sleep for the past few nights, so he's super tired now.

As I work on my laptop on the table in the lounge, I watch as Mike gets up from the sofa and walks to the kitchen, boiling the kettle I assume to make coffee. Again. He's relying on coffee to keep him awake and that's worrying. He needs to sleep. He's also been really quiet for the last two days, not talking much at all.

Dave the bassist has finished his tour so we've invited him, Rob, and Joe round today so start working on music as a band.  However, I'm now not sure if today was a good idea for that because Mike isn't okay.

"Mike?" I say, standing up. I follow him back to the sofa and then he looks at me, coffee in one hand. "Why are you avoiding sleep?"

"Don't want to sleep." He replies quietly and then sips his coffee.

"But if you don't sleep you'll eventually collapse from exhaustion. Your body is tired Mike, and you'll become immune to caffeine soon." Mike just shrugs, like he doesn't care. Tonight I will have to make sure he sleeps, I'll stay with him.

"The rest of the band will be here soon." I inform him. Chester then walks in from the music room, humming a tune.

"Anyone thought of band names yet? That's the first thing we need to decide." Chaz asks.

"Oh yeah, well it should have something to do with our music style, because we basically blend genres. " I reply, and Mike stays quiet.

"Agreed. We'll talk with the rest of the band about it." Chaz replies. Rob turns up a few minutes later, and then Joe and Dave shortly after. Everyone greets everyone and then we all sit together in the music room.

"So guys, Brad, Mike and I have written and recorded a few songs, we will need to get drums on them first" Chester says, nosing to Rob, "and then the bass and some cool scratchy turntable sounds" he looks at Dave and Joe.

"Cool dude can't wait to start." Joe replies with a smile.

"Also just so you are aware" I start, talking to Joe and Dave, "Chaz and Rob are dating, and me and Mike are too"

"Aw that's cute" Dave answers, Joe agreeing.

"So, band name. It should be about our musical style" Chaz talks again.

"Like... hybrid?" Joe asks.

"Hybrid theory?" Rob speaks up.

"Yes! That's perfect" I reply, Chaz agreeing.

" I love it!" Dave says.

"Cool, so now let's listen through all the songs we have." I turn to the computer and open up the protools files. I play In The End first. Allowing everyone to just listen to it.

"Mike did you write those rap verses?" Dave asks, snapping Mike out of his daydream. He gives Dave a nod before sipping on his coffee. It's probably his fifth coffee today. "They're amazing" Dave finishes with a smile.

"Thanks." Mike replies and finishes his coffee. He stands up and leaves the room, taking his empty mug with him.

"Uh, is he okay?" Joe asks once Mike is out of sight. I shake my head sadly.

"He has PTSD from when he was attacked, his mental state is a bit of a mess." I explain, Joe and Dave nodding, no longer confused. We spend the next half an hour listening to the rest of the songs and Rob starts working on some beats with Joe. This allows Chaz, Dave and I to chill out for a bit.

Walking into the lounge, I see Mike sitting on the sofa, his eyes looking very heavy as if he's about to collapse and fall asleep.

"Mike..." I say, taking a seat next to him. Chaz and Dave sit on the other sofa opposite. I pull Mike towards me, causing him to look up and yawn.

"Just go to sleep, you need to." As I say this, he immediately shakes his head, trying to pull away from me. "You can't stay awake forever. Come on, I know you don't want to but you'll feel better afterwards. Please just sleep, I'll be right here, you don't have to be scared."

"I don't want to relive it."

"You're with me, I'll be here when you wake up, and if you start having a nightmare then I'll wake you from it, I won't let you suffer. Okay?"

"Okay." He gives in, leaning his head on my chest.

"Dave,if you and Joe wanna stay round for the night, you can have Brad's room as he is staying with Mike. Rob can sleep in my room." Chester tells Dave before standing up and wandering to the kitchen, Dave following him.

It's only a couple of minutes later that I hear the soft breathing of Mike, sleeping at last.