Chapter Five

In my hands fell a white Ku Klux Klan hood. My hands began to shake in fear, and my scalp burned. I didn't know what to think. I didn't know how to approach Harry about it. What if it wasn't his? But who's would it be if it wasn't his? It felt like eternity before I came back to reality. I threw the hood up to the top shelf and slowly closed the closet door. There's no way in hell I could stay over night with Harry, even if the hood wasn't his. I changed back into the clothes I had on earlier and walked out into Harry's room.

"Hey, I really don't feel good. I think my period is coming so I think it's better that I just go back to my dorm," I said holding my stomach, pretending to have cramps.

"Oh no, do you need anything? Do you want me to drive you home?" he asked with concern.

"No, I'll be fine. I just need to get back," I said heading for the door.

"Okay... Well call me if you do need anything," he responded smiling.

"Will do." And with that, I closed his door and ran down the hall. I had to get out as fast as I could, and I most certainly wouldn't be calling Harry for anything ever again.

~~~

"Zayn, it was a KKK hood. There's no way in hell he was just 'holding it for a friend'. I almost shit myself when I saw it!" I exclaimed as Zayn looked on in horror.

   "Well, what do you plan on doing?"

I shrugged my shoulders hopelessly and plopped down on my bed.

   "Honestly Zayn, I don't know. I feel like my life is in danger. Maybe I'm thinking too deeply into it, but the things he's said just doesn't add up. One thing that really blows my mind is the fact that he told me his ex-girlfriend was literally beaten to death by the KKK, he had a mental breakdown when I brought it up, and yet he has a god damn KKK hood in his bathroom. Wouldn't you think it would trigger him or something?!" Zayn shook his head.

"You always get the crazy ones, don't you?" He chuckled.

"It seems to be that way," I rubbed my hands over my face and through my hair. This was all just too much for me to comprehend. There were so many missing pieces of the puzzle that it really tripped me up. Did Harry make up the story about his ex-girlfriend? Is Harry even a part of the KKK? If he is, why is he interested in me, a black woman? I was so confused.

"I have a plan, but it's so dangerous and you could literally get killed," Zayn said, breaking the silence between us.

"What is it? I'm willing to do anything to get some answers," I heaved.

"Okay, so you go to the next KKK meeting and look around to see if Harry shows up!" I laughed out loud.

"Zayn. Number one, I'm a woman. Women aren't necessarily welcomed. Number two, I'm black. And black people really aren't welcome," I pointed out.

"Well duh," he rolled his eyes. "Wear the costume to the place and sit in the far back where no one can see you. If anyone approaches you, just say you're a new comer and you'd prefer to keep your mask on because you don't want your identity exposed."

I thought for a moment. The plan wasn't exactly fool-proof, but if the odds were in my favor, it could work. I would get the answers I was seeking and then maybe I could confront Harry with some proof.

"You know what, I think that could work. Like you said, I could end up dead, but I'm really looking for some answers. Would you come with me?" I asked hopefully.

"What?!" Zayn cackled. "Albany, I'm not the one who hooked up with a suspected member of the KKK. My man won't be in there," He scoffed, pretending to flip his hair over his shoulder.

"Please? I would feel a little more safe if you came. Plus, how do you know Liam won't be there?" I laughed. Liam was a boy he met at the party the night I met Harry. They were going pretty well, unlike Harry and I.

"Because Liam literally has a poster of Hillary Clinton in his bedroom. There's no way he could be a member of the KKK with how liberal he is."

"You never really know. Look at Harry and I. Who the hell would have seen something like this coming? This is the plot twist of all plot twists!" Zayn shook his head and laughed.

"Well, we're going to need to get some of those stupid costumes if we're going to get in. Maybe Harry has some extras," Zayn laughed.

"Well, for one we need to find out when and where their next meeting is being held."

"You leave that to me. I might have to make our costumes, but it's only for one night and then we can burn them, I promise. Anyways, try to get some sleep. You've had enough of a rough week. I'll message you when I find out the details. Goodnight Albany," he said, gathering his things and heading for the door.

"Goodnight Zayn."

~~~

I was sitting in my second literature class of the day when my phone buzzed in my purse. It had been a few days since Zayn and I discussed our plan, and i had been on alert for a message with the details since.

Zayn: Tonight, 8pm. I'll pick you up from your dorm.

Me: Do I need to bring anything with me?

Zayn: Maybe a pocket knife

I laughed as I slid my phone back into my bag. It buzzed yet again and this time I had a feeling it wasn't Zayn.

Harry: Hey, we haven't talked in a few days and I just wanted to make sure you were doing okay. If this is how it's going to be when you get your period when we're married, I won't be able to stay away from you for this long! :(

I choked on the sharp breath of air I inhaled. When we're married? What a psychopath...*

Me: I'm fine, I just didn't want you to have to see me all moody. It's slowing down now so I should be okay in a day or two.

Harry: Let me know love. Talk to you later

I felt almost as frightened as a was annoyed. What was I going to if I did see him at the meeting later on that night? What would Zayn and I do if we got caught? Questions and scenarios came up one after another in my head as I walked back to my dorm, mentally preparing myself for what was to come later on that night.