Sing From Your Stomach

“I'm still alive but I'm barely breathing,”

The Script - “Breakeven”

As he drove down the smooth pavement of the road, Edmundo’s hands and feet moved to the rhythm of the Latin pop song blaring from the radio that is hooked up to his phone. He lifts his head to essentially scream out the lyrics, drowning out Malie's voice with the help of the already loud music. She didn't mind, it was his song choice for their annual Road Trip Karaoke after all.

“Pasito a pasito, suave suavecito

Nos vamos pegando, poquito a poquito -”

“Okay. Okay! I give up, I can't… I can't sing this anymore! I sound so bad, I'll make all of your ears bleed!” Malie laughs, making an effort to shout over the music. She shook her head at the brief memory of her failed attempt at singing Spanish.

With one hand on the wheel and focused eyes glued to the road, he lightly grazed her left thigh. “Mi Amor, come on, the song is almost finished. You're doing fine, just sing the last bit of lyrics with me.”

Malie playfully rolled her eyes. She held her phone up so she could read the lyrics she had to search for at the start of the song the moment she realized she couldn't understand the language.

“Pasito a pasito, suave suavecito

Nos vamos pegando, poquito a poquito.

Hasta provocar tus gritos

Y que olvides tu apellido

Despacito.”

Clarita applauded, “Amazing job you two! Bravo! Edmundo, you are well talented in singing fluent Spanish. I genuinely enjoyed your performance. Malie on the other hand… you may need some work.”

Malie scoffed, nervously turning around to meet Clarita’s honest eyes, “Grandma, no matter how many times I hear that song on the radio, I can't get my tongue to form those words. I'm sorry I wasn't born in Puerto Rico like he was.” she chuckled briefly.

“That is no excuse, young woman. How can you not obtain your other half’s bilingualism after being with him for so long? I've done so for my husband. It's an extremely useful skill to acquire at that, mind you.” she encouraged with a small nod.

“That may be true but I'm not really interested in learning the Spanish language. Sorry.” she slowly faced forward, slouched in her seat and took in a deep breath. “I-I hope that doesn't disappoint you.”

Clarita paused for a brief moment then shrugged, “Not at all sweetie, if that's the route you choose to take then so be it.” Malie sighed with relief then sat up straight. “Perhaps Koela and Kalei are willing to learn their Father's language. I will teach them myself.” she added thoughtfully.

Malie tensed up at her words, “How - wait, you speak Spanish too?”

“Yes. I am rather articulate in more than 10 languages, my first being French, of course.” Clarita replied with a proud smile on her face. “Hm, as a matter of fact, I should teach them French first - ”

“Alright and how are you going to have time to teach my children anything when you are hardly home?” Malie cuts her off. “What, now all of a sudden you have free time when you've been snubbing us for like six years.” she snapped.

“Dios mío, can we not.” Edmundo remarked, but his comment was quickly ignored by the two who are beginning to argue.

“I beg your pardon? I have done no such thing!” Clarita disagreed as she shook her head. “And have you forgotten that I am on vacation? I have plenty of free time for the next few months! I cannot deny that my job gets in the way sometimes, but I've interacted with you all before.”