chapter twenty-one

chapter twenty-one
unedited
1935 words

As the man above you and Evan aimed his gun at you, an angry and scared expression on his face, arms grabbed his neck and face. He let out a scream just before Cheeseburger bit into his neck and drew blood. The man went down and Cheeseburger went down with him since he was using him as support. You stood up and smiled wide. Evan stood beside you.

"Awesome, Cheeseburger." You mumbled as you watched Cheeseburger continue to eat the now-corpse.

"Leon vanished." Evan announced to you. You looked around but guards shooting around you was all you could see.

"Fuck."

"Get cover, you two!" Minx exclaimed to you and Evan. You spotted the greenhouse a few feet away and pulled Evan with you while you booked it across the courtyard. After turning the corner you saw Jonathan, Luke, and Bryce waiting there.

"(Y/N), Evan, either of you hurt?" Jonathan asked. You shook your head.

"No, we're fine." You replied.

"Fuck, those guards managed to dodge a lot of bullets. I didn't see Ryan or anyone else after things turned to shit. I made a run for it to cover." Bryce commented. Gunshots still rang through the air.

"We ran out of bullets." Evan told them.

"Here," Bryce said, handing his gun to you. "I do not wish to shoot anyone. I guess I'm just a wimp, but no matter what anyone does, I just can't bring it in myself to shoot anyone."

"Thanks, but I won't be needing it. I prefer my knife." You commented, grabbing your knife that was in the hem of your pants. "Evan would like it though, I'm sure."

"Yeah, thanks." Evan said as Bryce handed him the gun.  Jonathan still had his gun.

"How many bullets do you have?"

"Five."

"That won't last too long, but hopefully long enough. Evan?"

"Six." Evan replied.

"Alright." You said as you peeked around the corner. You saw Minx, Marcel, Ryan, Alarn, and Tyler all still in the courtyard shooting at guards. There seemed to still be about nine or ten left.

"You guys should go help the others. I'll try to find Smitty, Adam, and Scotty and bring them here if they're out of ammo or hurt. Stay here, ok, Bryce?" You told him. He nodded.

"I'll help you find them since I'm also out of bullets." Luke said. You shook your head.

"Only one of us should be risking ourselves while looking for the others. I believe the person with the weapon should be looking." You replied.

"I don't. You need to help kill of those guards. I don't know if they just have horrible aim or something, but only a few have died. Luckily they have just as bad aim since none of ours are dead. Hopefully." Luke mumbled the last part. You rolled your eyes but knew that Luke wasn't going to take no for an answer. He's never before.

"Fine. Just don't make me regret it." You told him. Evan and Jonathan had already re-entered the battle. You gave Luke and Bryce a see you soon before sneaking up behind a guard. You quickly plunged your knife into his upper back before he could shoot. His body went limp and you let him fall to the ground, revealing Alarn, who had a gun pointed to you. He lowered it upon seeing you and gave you a smile. You returned the favor before a guard spun you around.

They had their gun pointed at your stomach and had their other hand gripped around your neck. You struggled against their grip until a gun went off. You thought that you were shot, but you realized that Alarn had actually shot the man before you. You looked over at him with wide eyes, while he had a smile.