ELEVEN

"He's here!" The voice in the darkness wheezed, "It has begun!"

Nicole stood in the light of the room, toying with the Devil's Key in her hand. It hadn't been long since she had acquired it. The thing didn't like her. It wanted Brendon, which Nicole spited. The damned thing had grown attached to the human, even screaming when he finally died. At least, it screamed in Nicole's head.

"Bring me the key." The voice ordered.

Nicole looked up from the artifact. "Gladly." She said, stepping towards the darkness. At its edge, she hesitated. The dark was his domain. Everything down here was, but especially the dark. Instead of going any further, she held out the key and hoped no emotion showed on her face.

There was a coughing from the darkness. "Do I intimidate you?"

"No, sir." She lied.

"Hmm..." The noise rang around the room, giving Nicole involuntary goosebumps. "Perhaps I should take a more suitable form?"

Nicole said nothing. The air began to swirl around her, but she remained perfectly still. The air continued to move for another few moments before everything went dead still.

Nicole held her breath as a silhouette formed against the shadows of the dark size of the room.

"I think that's better." This voice was softer, though it had the same undertones of the original voice. "What do you think?"

Out of the shadow stepped a boy. More of a man in his late twenties, but Nicole was still taken off guard. The man had curly red hair atop his head, almost glowing with intensity as he came further into the light. One arm was completely decorated in a Van Gough-esk covering of color. The man smiled, crinkling the skin around his fiery red eye and unnatural yellow eye.

"Haven't had skin like this in a long time." He commented, pulling at his tattooed arm, "Quite the change." He turned to Nicole, flashing a smile that read anything but kind. He held out his hand, flexing his fingers in a beckoning motion. "My key?"

Nicole nodded, stepping forward and dropping the artifact into his open hand. An instant wave of relief washed over her. Maybe she wasn't ready for that kind of power... She wanted to beat the thought out of her head.

"Very well done." The man tilted the key in his hand, examining every inch of it. Without looking away from it, he added, "You're services are no longer required."

Nicole stared at the man. "What?" After all she had done?

"You heard me." He spoke calmly, but there was a hint of hostility in his voice.

"I can be of more service to you." Nicole offered, trying to hide her desperation. She had fought long and hard to be at the devil's side. She wasn't ready to give it up after one task of babysitting a human. "I can guard the key. I can-" her sentence ended in a squeak as his haunting eyes shifted towards her. She instantly regretted talking back. She should have left when she had the chance.

He looked her up and down, refusing to speak for a long time. Finally, he sneared. "Your right. I can use you."

Without further warning, Nicole was knocked off of her feet. She landed hard on the ground, grunting in pain. She looked up, no longer hiding the fear she held inside. "Please."

"My hounds haven't feasted in quite some time." He replied simply, turning away from her. "They should enjoy you."

"Please!" She shrieked before something bit down on her leg. She cried out as something else but down on her torso, tugging against whatever had her leg. The hounds ripped her apart in seconds, growling and crunching on her bones.

He hadn't bothered to watch. He knew how his pets coordinated their attacks. He let them finish before turning to them. They trotted over, tongues sticking out and panting happily.

"Good girls." He cooed, pocketing his key before scratching under their chins. "In time, you'll have the entire surface as a dinner platter."

They barked happily.