8) Recovering

Alex's P.O.V.

"Well, well, well."

Than I heard a ringing sound. Crap. I thought. My phone!

I looked down to see my phone. Ringing. My moms face popped up on the screen. But before I could react, the guy takes the McDonalds bag. "What's this? Food. Mine now." He said, with odd pleasure in his voice. "Umm, can you let me go?" Gabby squeaked. "Hmmm, let me think, no!" He said, clearly angry at her for asking. "Don't shoot her! Shoot me. She didn't do anything. Please. Take me, leave her be!" I said terrified. Yet in a pleading way. Gabby started to protest when...

I heard sirens. The cops! They're coming!

The guy froze. "No, no no no. Not again." He pulled the trigger and ran. "Awwwwwwww" that's all I heard before blacking out.

———————————————————
I woke up in a hospital bed. There was a sheet surrounding the room I was in. I looked around, and tried to get up. But my stomach was killing me. I screamed in pain. I laid back down and rested for a few more minutes, then sat back up and removed the covers. Revealing something horrifying. Bloody covers. Bloody bandages. All I remember before blacking our was a girl coming in. Very familiar. Yet far from my minds existence.
————————————————————

I woke up. Beeping sounds all around me. I was still in pain, but decided not to get up again. I just looked around. The same girl from earlier was sitting there on the little couch. She looked up from her phone when she noticed me staring at her. Her eyes were red and puffy. As if she'd been crying. Her hair was long and brown, but uneven and really frizzy. It looked as if it hadn't been brushed in days. "Oh my god! Alex! You're ok! I've missed you so much! I love you! Everyone at school has been asking about you!" She said. School? School starts in 2 weeks! It's still summer. Isn't it? After building up the courage to talk to the strange girl, I said "Umm, hi? I'm Ale- wait, you already know my name, how do you know my name? Can you tell me what happened to me?" The girl just looked at me confused, then really nervous. "Uh, Alex? It's me, Gabby, Your best friend." She said, kinda shakily. Gabby. The name zipped threw my brain. Gabby.

Yes! Gabby! I remember. Every memory of her was instantly back. But nothing else. How come I couldn't remember. "Um, ok, this is gonna sound wierd, but at first I had no idea who you were, then it came to me, but every other memory that doesn't have you, is gone. I don't remember starting 6th grade. Last I remember was 2 weeks before." I said, a little out of breath. "That's fine, you've been out for 3 months. I was out for 2 and 3 weeks. I was found last week. We were kidnapped by the guy that shot you. He ran, then realized he had touched us both and is finger prints were all over our clothes. So he took me and you. And locked us in a shed, some where in The woods. You were bleeding so bad. I couldn't do anything. So I took off my shirt and wrapped it around you. You eventually woke up, and you gave me your sweatshirt. We huddled up together, and stayed their. Until one day. The guy came in and gave us a dead squirrel. He said he was leaving for days, and it was all we would have till then. So we planned to escape. Hours after he left, we climbed the bookshelf and up the wall to the window in the ceiling. I was the only one with any strength left at all. So I climbed up and pushed the window out. I climbed up and out the window, and pulled you out. I jumped down, it wasn't very tall, but you were still injured. So I had to catch you. After that, we went as fast as we could. You were still a mess. And I was cold. After days of looking in the woods, we found a street and followed it."

"Oh my god! I'm guessing after this we found someone and they brought us here?" I said, kinda excited to hear the rest of the story. Until I saw the expression on her face, sad, cold. "Actually no, I said we were gone for 3 months. This was 6 weeks in. 2 months and 2 weeks. 1 week before I was found." She said softly. "And me?" I squeaked. "He found us, walking on the road. You were so slow, you said to go, and find help, and to leave you, you would create a distraction. I said no, I couldn't leave you. But you didn't care, I hugged you, we said our good byes, and I sprinted off. Not looking back. All I heard before I lost ear shot, was a loud, high pitched scream. It was yours."

I was terrified. What had he done to me? "How did you get found?" I asked curiously. "I found a gas station after miles of non stop running. I asked the guys at the front desk for a phone, and instantly called 9-1-1. The second they picked up. They knew something was wrong. They sent an ambulance. For me of course, and a squat team out for you. I told them were the vicinity of the shed was. And where you were last seen. It took them so long to find you, Alex. I felt so bad." At this point, Gabby was balling. She couldn't hold it in any longer. We were kidnapped. Oh my god.

A few moments of sobbing from both of us sweeped by, before a doctor came in. He checked all my stats. And I told him about my memory. Eventually they came up with the idea that I had a temporary amnesia. I was drugged, during the week it took them to find me. They found me in a really tall up tree house, unconscious on the floor of the tree house, with guns all around the place. The guy who did this to us still hasn't been found. Aparrently he was homeless. And needed food, he took us because he saw us watch him robbing a lady. He killed her, then took our food and shot me. After telling him to shoot me, not her. That's the jist of it. They said I would eventually get my memory back. But that's not what I cared about right then. All I wanted was to insure the safety of the rest of the girls around here. But how could I do that?

————————————————————

a/n: hey guys! Haven't updated in a while. I was reminded to by a friend, so decided, why not? I really hope you like it, it definitely took time to think of how I was gonna plan this chapter. Longest chapter of the book so far! Yah! Thanks for reading! See you next time.
~Alex

Word Count: 1190