Prologue

"Lucas!" I pound on his door. "We need to leave. Now."

"I said in a minute!" He yells from inside.

I let out a frustrated yell, then grab the door handle and bash my shoulder into the door, forcing it open. "Lucas Robert Hemmings!" He's sitting on his bed and I storm over to him.

"Stop calling me that!"

"Lucas?"

"You know I don't like it!"

"Well it get's your attention now, doesn't it?"

"Just go!"

"Get your ass up! We're going to the hospital. Allie just called me and-"

Luke's eyes widen and someone behind me clears their throat. I turn slowly and see three very familiar faces. One kiwi with squishy cheeks and one curly-headed boy with deep dimples sit on either side of the couch. In between them is a pale, white-haired boy I haven't seen in, well, almost eight months.

"Oh.. Hey, boys. Long time no see." I say, nodding at Calum and Ashton. I meet eyes with the boy in the middle. "Michael...hi."

He mumbles, "hi.." in return, dropping hs gaze. He plays with the fray from a rip in his black skinny jeans.

I clentch my jaw and turn back to Luke. "We need to go. Now."

"There's no hurry."

"Fine! I'll go to the hospital alone!"

"Um, Shay." Calum says, clearing his throat a little. I turn so I can see both him and Luke. "Why, exactly, do you need to go to the hospital?"

I meet eyes with Luke. "You didn't tell them?" I ask angrily.

"I-I didn't know how." His eyes look broken.

"Hey, it's nothing to be sad about." I soften my tone. "Come on, though. She's gonna want you there." I turn back to the other three. "Sorry to cut the party short, but you gotta go."

Luke leaves first, then Ash, then Cal. Michael lingers for a second, standing in the doorway. "Shay, can we talk?"

"I really have to go, Michael." I push past him but he catches my arm.

"Later, then."

I look him in the eyes. They look glassy, like he's going to cry. His face is sad and I can't stand to see it. He releases his grip on my arm, giving me the option of leaving. I close my eyes and bite my lip. I hope I don't regret this.

"Yeah."