01 ~ Everywhere I look

“Ha”. I laughed to myself as I walked past the magazine rack at the supermarket. His face on almost every cover. One Direction was the world’s biggest boy band and to think that I knew one of the heart throbs! Or at least, I used to…

Harry Styles had been my neighbour and we were kind of actually friends… before fame discovered him. And it’s not that I didn’t wish the best for him, just that I missed our small talk when we bumped into each other walking home from school. And those awkward glances when I looked out of my bedroom window and saw him looking at me from his. Well, from those giggling, annoying girls on the bus I had picked up that he had been touring for ages now, returning to Holmes Chapel for a bit and then touring again. I mean, I don’t even know why I cared so much, we had only been neighbours… and maybe I had dreamed of a little more than that, but nothing ever actually happened.

So here I was, walking down the aisles of supermarket thinking about a guy that probably didn’t even remember my name by now. I needed to distract myself with other things. I walked off towards the frozen food sections and looked for ice cream that would help my mood. Plus, I was having dinner with my sister tonight and she always made me laugh. Just when I thought that I was over my day dreaming about the boy with lusciously curly hair, a new song started playing in the supermarket. One Thing. Trust. “Get out of my head!” I yelled as I slammed the freezer shut. Ironically, that was the next lyric.

I trudged over to the cashier with my groceries and waited to be served by an old lady with a moustache called ‘Suzy’. I found that a couple times, I had to stop myself from singing along. Darn! Their songs had to be catchy too?! It was at that moment that I realised it would take lots of remedial therapy to get this boy out of my mind.

I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket and saw my sister’s name come up on caller ID. I answered hoping that I would be receiving good news. “Hey Madge,” my sister had used that nick name on me for so long I had forgotten when it had started. “It’s Maddie or Madeleine. You know that I hate being called Madge. Anyway, what’s up?”

“Well, Madeleine. I’m going to have to take a rain check for tonight. I’m so sorry but something important came up. I promise I’ll make it up to you though!” I sighed and pulled out my wallet to pay Suzy. “I’m going to stick to you on that promise!” I told her. “Alright, I’ll talk to you soon! Bye.” And she hung up. “Bye”, I muttered to myself.

So I guess would be a night alone in my bedroom with The Notebook and a tub of ice cream. Living the life Mads, living the life. I grabbed my shopping bags and exited the supermarket. And as I left, a huge cut out of One Direction stood in front of a whole pile of their album, Up All Night. Leave me alone! I glared at his stupid, annoying, extremely sexy face and left in a bad mood.