Ch. 6 - Was It Worth It?

I woke up Tuesday morning and wasted no time getting ready for school. I got dressed, grabbed the paper from my nightstand, put it in my backpack, and headed outside. When I got to school, I went directly inside, avoiding another confrontation with the goth kids around the back. I walked into my history classroom, where Mr. Harris was happy to see me.

"Craig! So how did you make out with that extra credit?"

I smiled and pulled the paper from my backpack. "I have it right here!"

He took the paper from me and flipped through it. "Wow, Craig, I'm impressed. It looks like you really took it seriously. I'll look it over during my free period today. Come see me before you leave and I'll let you know how you did."

I sat down at my desk, confident that he would raise my grade. I truly did put a lot of effort into it. I sat through the lecture and headed to my next class. I made it a point to pay attention and take good notes in all my classes, as I would need to keep my performance up if I really wanted to maintain my new and improved reputation at school and around town. At the end of the day, I met Tweek at his locker.

"Hey, Craig! D-Did you get your grade raised?"

"About to find out right now," I smiled, taking his hand. "Let's go."

To my surprise, he didn't pull his hand away the entire walk to the classroom. We got a few strange looks, but for the most part nobody really paid much attention. What really mattered is that he was finally comfortable enough to show a little affection in public. I couldn't help but look at him out of the corner of my eye the entire time and smile.

"Good luck, Craig," he said softly when we arrived at the classroom.

I nodded and walked inside. Mr. Harris was sitting at his desk and his face lit up when he saw me walk in.

"I don't know how you did it, Craig, but I'm very impressed. You went much more in-depth than I would ever expect for a tenth-grade history class. You must really be interested in this stuff."

"I'll admit I thought it would be pretty boring at first, but I actually found out I kinda liked it."

"Nothing makes me happier than to hear a student say that. And, needless to say..."

He handed the paper back to me. 100.

I couldn't stop the huge smile from taking over my face. I must've looked like such a dork, but I didn't care. I was too happy.

"You've earned it, Craig. In fact, I've decided to omit some of your lower scores from earlier in the semester. Keep this up and you just might ace this class!"

"Thank you, Mr. Harris. Seriously, thank you."

"Don't thank me, Craig. You did this yourself. You should be very proud."

I shook his hand and walked back out of the classroom, paper in hand. Tweek was right there when I stepped into the hallway and looked at me expectedly.

"W-Well?"

I handed him the paper without saying a word. He quickly glanced at it and before I knew it, his arms were wrapped tightly around me.

"Craig! I'm so proud of you!"

I hugged him back and we stood like that in the hallway for a long while, not caring if anyone saw. Before pulling back from the embrace, I felt his lips touch mine, but it wasn't me who initiated it, it was him. I smiled and quickly spun him around and pinned him against the lockers. What started as a hug was now a full make out session. I pushed my body against his and ran my hands through his messy hair. I don't know how long it lasted and didn't care, I was in a state of bliss. Our feelings continued to intensify until he finally pulled back.