Chapter 4: Farm Chores

I slowly open my eyes as the rays of the sun peaks out from the curtain window, I'm still half-asleep but after a while I managed to gain my full consciousness.

I stood up from the couch where I slept last night and found that Leah wasn't in her bed…I wonder where she went? Running my fingers through my hair, I went out the room and headed downstairs to be greeted by Leah's warm and welcoming smile.

I stood at the doorway of the spacious dining room,"Hey, Hayden." she greeted as she placed a plate of eggs and bacon and a glass of orange juice on the dining table.

"Hey." I greeted back, a hoarse voice coming out at the end.

"I was just about to wake you up. Come on, I made breakfast for you." she said.

I walked to her and approached the table,"Sit down." she ordered as she pulled a chair back for me.

"What's this for?" I ask her as I sit down, taking a whiff of the steaming plate of bacon and eggs that smelled like heaven.

She pulled back another for her to sit,"Well, this is my payment for your generosity yesterday." she replied.

"Oh." I said,"You know you don't really have to pay me back with anything." I told her, grabbing the fork beside the plate and twirling it around my fingers.

"That's just nonsense. Of course I have to, I owe you for picking me up." she explained as she glanced at the fork in my hand.

I managed to shrug,"Where are the Conley's?" I ask.

"They're outside at the farm, I think Mr. Conley wants to talk to you." she informed with a smile.

"Alright." I stood up from the chair, placing the fork back down on the table. I was about to head out when she held my wrist and stopped me.

"Where are you going?" she asked, her face worried.

"To go talk to Mr. Conley." I answered.

"Eat your breakfast first. You shouldn't go your day with an empty stomach." she stated, pouting her lips at me.

"Fine." I sat back down and grabbed the fork again and began munching on some eggs and bacon.

I can't help but find Leah staring awkwardly at me, I wonder what she's thinking. Does she think I'm handsome? Maybe she's starting to fall for me because I wouldn't mind that at all.

"You're a lot feminine than I thought you were." she suddenly spoke.

"What?!" I exclaimed nearly choking on my food. Where'd she got that idea? This woman is spontaneous.

"I mean, you're a lot nicer than all the guys I've met, and there are a lot of douchebags out there." she stated.

"I guess I'm glad I'm not one of those douchebags. But that's not a reason for you to call me feminine." I retorted.

"Well, I guess you're special." she complimented.

I didn't notice as my cheeks suddenly started heating up after she said that,"Well, thank you." I said as I swallowed the last piece of bacon on my plate, grabbing the orange juice and quickly drinking it before heading out the house.