Chapter 1: House Party

"Dude, could you just tell me where you are?" Ashton asked me on the phone.

"I already told you I was leaving." I answered him, pulling at my hair from the stress.

"I know that. But at least tell me where you're going." he insisted.

"Ash, it doesn't matter where, alright?" I replied.

"Alright, fine. But Peyton has been calling me for the past hour asking about you, she said you blocked her number. Didn't you break up with her?" he asked cluelessly.

"Yeah, although she broke up with me, last week at Fred's house party, I think you were drunk that night." I stated.

"What happened between you two?"

"I don't wanna talk about it."

"Hayden, I know you're upset about it but you didn't have to leave the city." he stated.

"Ash, it's not just about the break up. I left because I wanna…discover myself." I answered, hopefully that's a good enough excuse for him. But considering Ashton, it probably went over his head again.

"Okay, fine. Does your parents know you're taking the truck by yourself?" he asked, finally switching the conversation.

"No, they still think I'm with Peyton. Could you cover for me?" I asked him.

"Sure. Dude, just come back, alright? I'm gonna throw a house party soon and I want you to be there when you're back on your feet and not doomy-gloomy." he stated.

I chuckle lowly before answering,"Yeah, cool. Thanks Ash. Listen, I'll talk to you later, alright?" I said.

"Alright, bye."

I hung up the phone and continued leaning against my truck. I looked at the empty road and the cloudy sky, I was standing in the middle of the road with the truck parked at the side. The fields were  filled with tall weeds and the road was nothing but tar. The sun high above the azure sky with the wind drifting through the air.

It felt like a chilly night when it was actually such a hot day and my mind was wandering off again to the past.

A Week Ago...

Loud music was booming from the giant speakers, neon lights and  a huge disco ball illuminated the dark areas of the house and the dance floor was filled with drunken students and rowdy teenagers. Red cups and fog from a fog machine were flying through the air, creating a thick atmosphere in the room.

"Hey, Fred. This party is freakin' awesome!" Ashton stated as he sat down beside me and Fred at the long couch holding a red cup,"What did you put in the juice? It's amazing."

"It's just Mountain Dew…with a little cider." Fred answered, gleaming like crazy.

"Oh! Hell yeah!" Ashton immediately downed the entire red cup and crushed it with his hands afterwards and threw it on the floor,"I feel like dancing." he stated, turning to us like he's inviting us.

Fred and I both looked at each other knowingly and shooke our heads, we're not gonna wanna have to get puked at by an 17-year old who had too much to drink.