Chapter X

The Tricks Of Being A Witch
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
Chapter X

I want to change the unchanged. But what did it mean to be unchanged... the unchangeable... The words that repeated themselves over and over again in the quiet space of my mind. I wrapped my arms around myself and sat down on my bed, my mothers journal comfortably next to me. Maybe the words would become clearer to me by looking at the past through my mother's eyes.

The last time I opened the journal I was sucked into her words, her memories... I passed my hand over the binding of the book and shut my eyes to recall he events of my last trip into her diary. The death of mother's classmate... the words written in the poor girls blood.

Whatever was terrorizing mom and dad must be related somehow to the demon that appeared at the Little Lime... I pressed my lips together and opened my eyes, glancing down at the diary I opened it to the next entry.

Moms glittering cursive littered the page, crisp and beautiful, just as she was. Just as before a warm light envelopes my mind and pulled me into the pages of the diary. I stood in a small stairwell facing what looked to be a large waterfall. The cool wind smelled sweet, almost like peppermint and played with the hair of my tight ponytail. I walked towards the railing of the stairs and stopped when I heard the sound of a door shutting behind me. My mother entered, followed by my father and another woman I didn't recognize.

My mother's narration began again.

Three weeks past Hattie's death and the council resumed classes, an investigation was opened within the wards of Saint Cyprine's, but is it enough? The day we returned Bloise sought me out, claiming he found something that might shed light on what happened to Hattie.

"My friend here is named May, she's a fifth year and a top tear witch." Blosie said looking towards mom and then back to May, "May, this is Elizaveta she's the girl I was just telling you about."

May smiled and extended a hand towards my mother, nodding towards Bloise, "how do you deal with him?"

"I find that if you ignore him he becomes manageable, but just a smidge."

"He is just feeling so loved right now," Bloise said with a lopsided smile, then reaching into his bag pulled out a file. The air seemed to shift from good friends to fearful in a split second.

That day Bloise, May and I met in the stairwell that overlooked the temple of Cyprine, the very place our beloved mother had been slayed by the people she fought so hard to love... those without magical abilities. Be that as it may the majority of the magical community had no grudges with humans, we mind our business and they mind theirs. We did not want to become property of the government, or worse... the alchemists.

"This file here has all of the information on how Hattie died

"This file here has all of the information on how Hattie died." He extended the file to my mother before pulling back slowly from her hand, "are you sure you want to see this?"