Chapter Sixteen

Mariah’s POV

Mama J was helping me out today by watching Tyson for me while I go for my meeting with Draya in her office today. I knocked on her front door and we waited until she answered it.

"Hey Tyson!",she said as Tyson ran to her legs and hugged them.

I smiled,”Thank you so much Mama. I really appreciate this.”

"Mariah, you’re family. I know you have to be on your way but I wanna talk to you about something real quick."

"What is it?"

"It’s nothing serious, it’s just about Tyson. He’s four now so it’s about time for him to start preschool or day care. Something to get him ready for kindergarten next year. Besides, I don’t know if I’ll be able to be watching him regularly."

I nodded,”It’s time for my baby to start goin to preschool? Already?”

"Yeah. Look, we can talk later. I don’t want you late on your first day. Good luck baby."Mama J said as she gave me a tight hug and kissed my cheek. She’s honestly the mother I wish I had. I hope I can be like her when I grow up (older anyways).

I hopped in my car and I headed over to the FineAssGirls office downtown. As I sat in traffic, I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel to ‘Biggest Fan’. I started humming it and then I thought, man I haven’t talked to Chris all day, I’ll call him right now. I tapped the command button on the steering wheel and I said,”Call Chris.”

It responded back and said,”Calling Chris.” I waited until I heard him answer.

"Hello?",he said softly.

I smiled,”Hey Chris.”

"Wassup Mariah?"

"Nothing, just calling to say hi."

"Oh, well…..hey."

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just a little tired."

"Oh. We’ll then I’ll leave you to rest I guess."

"Aight love you bye."

"Bye."

What was his problem? Maybe he was just tired like he said. I shrugged it off as I pulled into the parking lot. I looked in the mirror to check my hair and makeup then I stepped out and walked into the tall building.

I approached the front desk and I waited the girl to finish her long ass phone conversation before I said,”Mariah Jeffries, here to see Draya Michelle.”

"Ah, that’s right. Okay her office is on the fourth floor."

"Thanks,"I smiled and turned towards the open elevator and I stepped inside and pushed the number ‘4’ button. I smoothed out my dress(http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=108996409) and flipped my hair and took a deep breath.”This is it Mariah. This is what you’ve needed after all these damn years. Some independence. Now put your game face on and get this shit on the road.”

The elevator stopped and the door opened. Everything around here looked like…….fuckin Vogue Magazine. Beautiful people were everywhere and it seemed like they all just stopped and stared at me as I awkwardly walked around until someone tapped me on my shoulder. I turned around and to my surprise, it was Taylor.

"Taylor!",I hugged her but she didn’t return it.

"Mariah, what are you doing here?"she asked.

"You mean I didn’t tell you? Oh, well I met Draya yesterday at your photo shoot when I came to pick up Camille and she just offered me a job. Right on the spot. Isn’t that great?”