Allons-y!

The Doctor scratched the back of his head before looking back down at the boy. His eyes were bright and the tears had stopped but Harry still seemed a bit put out.

            “Still upset?” the Doctor asked.

            Harry gave a small shrug while keeping his eyes on his fingers as they fiddled with the string of his pajama bottoms. The Doctor bit his lip, desperately trying to figure out how he would cheer up this boy. He hadn’t really dealt with children this young for a long time. He had forgotten how difficult it can be to keep them entertained.

            The Doctor searched his brilliant mind for something; an idea of any sort. His eyes fell on the boy again. He needed to find a way to convince Harry that everything was going to be alright. He wouldn’t disappoint his family. Harry needed to know that there would come a time where his bravery would bring him the opportunity of a lifetime.

            But how?

            Well, of course he knew how, but would that be smart? The Doctor mulled the thought over and over in his head. Maybe he could give the boy a glimpse. That wouldn’t hurt, right? Harry was a clever boy; he would be able to understand.

            Again, the thought tossed and turned throughout every cortex of his brain until the Doctor felt satisfied enough. In fact, he was actually quite proud. He smiled to himself and cleared his throat.

            “So, young Harry, are you up for another round?”

            Harry looked up at the Doctor and only hesitated for a second before he found himself nodded with excitement.

            “Where are we going?” he asked, his voice slightly broken from the tears.

            “When, dear boy, it’s ‘when are we going’ and can’t tell you that. It’s a surprise. Now, come on and get yourself strapped in!”

            Harry stood up along with the Doctor and hurried back over to his seat. Buckling himself in for the second time, he watched the Doctor close the door and race back over to the center of the TARDIS. His eyes followed the Doctor’s every move, watching him closely as he began with the buttons and switches. Harry heard the now familiar sound begin and he found himself clutching the sides of the seat. Not as tightly, though, he was ready this time.

            After the shakes and rumbles and laughing when the Doctor was sent rolling across the floor, the whirring had stopped and they had landed. Harry’s eager fingers quickly unbuckled and climbed down from the seat. As soon as his feet touched the floor, he raced towards the door but just before he grabbed the knob, the Doctor’s voice called from across the room.

            “Hold on there, Harry! Just a moment!”

            He turned and waited not-so-patiently as the Doctor approached him. He noticed that the look on his face was a bit more serious than before, causing Harry to bite his lip in concern. The Doctor stuck his hands inside his pockets and raised a brow at the boy.