Prologue

The Warlock of Notre Dame: Prologue.

The night was a dark and cold one. It had recently snowed and it was piled up on the streets of Paris. There was never much demon activity during the snowy season but that didn’t stop the Nephilim from patrolling the area for potential danger.

Even if the demons didn’t come out much, there was still trouble to look out for.

Downworlders.

Vampires, Werewolves, Warlocks and Fairies. Creatures that weren’t fully demons but not completely human either, would roam around at night, causing problems.

There has been talk of warlocks selling illegal potions and the Nephilim had their eyes peeled for any activity.

None more so than a young twenty year old Shadowhunter named Valentine Morgenstern. He just recently became the head of one of the most well known institutes of all time, and lived their with his wife Jocelyn and their new born son, Jonathan.

The Institute was Notre Dame and it was known all around the world by Nephilim, Downworlders, and Mundanes alike.

It was the only institute in the world where people other than Nephilim could enter. Mundanes went inside for their Church services every Sunday, as well as used it for sanctuary.

Notre Dame was split up into three parts. The bottom level where mundanes pray, The second floor where the Shadowhunters dwell; No mundane could enter there, and finally, there was the third level where the popular bells of Notre Dame were held.

“Valentine,” a Shadowhunter named Hodge starkweather called out, walking up to the blonde haired man. Valentine rolled his eyes, hating having to work with Hodge, but he put on a fake smile, facing his 'friend'.

“What is it Hodge? As you can see, I am very busy patrolling the area.”

Hodge starkweather was always trying to do things to get onto Valentine’s good side. If you were in with him, you were pretty much set for life.

“I got word from my Intel. They said that there was talk of warlocks meeting under the bridge to make a trade of some kind. It could be more illegal potions.”

Valentine pondered that for a moment. He has been chasing the trail of illegal potions for a few months now. If he could capture some warlocks and question them, it would help him find the main source.

“Thank you Hodge, I'll be heading to the bridge now,” he said starting to walk away. Hodge frowned, following him.

“Don’t you want me to go with you? You may need backup.”

Valentine sighed exasperatedly. Hodge was the last person he wanted to bring with him. He would just get in the way like he always does. Valentine’s Parabatai, Lucian Graymark was out sick though, so he didn’t really have a choice.

He could probably do it alone if it was anyone else but Warlocks. They were notoriously tricky creatures.

“Very well Hodge, it seems I could use the help. Just please don’t do anything unless I tell you too.”

He nodded excitedly, happy to be able to finally work with Valentine.

The two made their way to the bridge and waited in shadows for people to appear. They waited for four hours, watching a few mundane drug exchanges, but nothing Downworlder related seemed to be happening. Valentine started to get irritated by the lack of warlock activity.