Prologue

"Joy, wake up!  We have a very important day to look forward to!" 

Joy kicked the covers and jumped out of bed.  She stood before her wardrobe, placed on her casual lemon sundress and slid down the stairway rail on her way to the kitchen.  Upon meeting her parents, she greeted them with a kiss.

"Thanks for waking me on time, mom. I was having a wonderful dream and I couldn't resist sleeping some more!"

"Such a child as always.  Is your toast ready yet, Jolie?"

"Right on cue, Jay."

Joy playfully swatted her hand.  "Oh, dad. So, what are we doing today?"

Jay cocked an eyebrow. "Don't you remember? We were supposed to take the plane back to the States to see our family friends.  You're the one who initially had this planned for three years. Heck, even I'm excited!" 

"Yeah, well," Joy began swaying her waist back and forth as she continued, "Looking back at where I used to be when I first got here compared to where I am now, I don't think I'm ready to go back just yet."

Jay and Jolie looked to each other with concern. "Why is that, sweetie?" Jolie asked.

"It's just that I have so many kids who depend on me to teach them here!  And it's not only that since there's also Flint to consider.  Plus we kind of planned to have a teaching session with the kids this week so why don't you two go by yourselves?"

The couple swapped incredulous glances. This man, Flint, claimed to be Joy's first boyfriend.  Joy talked nonstop about his pursuing career in being a music teacher and bragging about his older brother helping him get to where he stands today.  He too was lanky, had an attractive face, and his curly, lavender hair seemed to complement his penchant for music.  Not that Joy's parents distrusted the man... all they thought was someone more deserving of their daughter.

Someone... she promised to see again.

"But what about Felix? I thought you love him," Jolie suddenly brought up.

Joy's face fell to an almost dejecting expression. "I still like Felix, but times have changed and he hasn't been keeping in touch with me for ages!  Besides, I'm sure he forgot about prom night and moved on with someone else."

"How are you so sure?" Jay asked worriedly.

"I think I just know. Besides, he's quite a handsome fellow and I'm sure he found someone more deserving than I am. But it doesn't matter now that I have someone of my own."

"Joy, I know your new boyfriend means a lot to you, but can't you spare at least one week off with your true friends? What about Sadie, Desiree or Angus?" Jolie pleaded calmly.

"Well... I do miss them too. I have kept in touch with Desiree but I haven't told her about me and Flint yet."

"That a' girl!" Jay patted his daughter's back while Jolie offered her a plate of French toast. "Now eat up, buttercup, because we're going to swallow some sweet, sweet nostalgia!"

Before Joy could say something, a soft ringtone in her pocket began to escalate in volume. Excusing herself from the table, she picked up her phone, speaking a normal conversation before uttering a light squeal then hanging up after.

"Okay, I have no problem going back," she suddenly confirmed.

"Well that escalated quickly. Did Felix call you for the first time in a while?" Jay asked, glinting with hope.

"No, sadly." Joy's face fell for a moment before lighting up with unrelated excitement. "Even better! Flint cancelled our appointment with teaching the kids--"