V

Thursday

"Lauren, I swear I'm fine. My legs are healing." The dark girl stressed to her cream colored friend as she walked through the hallways on her crutches.

The Cuban girl pouted causing Normani to giggle at her childish actions.

"Mani...." Lauren started to whine out.

Normani gave the teen girl a playful look, "So its 'Mani' now?"

Lauren placed her hand on her chest and faked a heartbreak. "Do you not like it? I can change it if you want."

Normani shook her head and chuckled as she opened her homeroom door. Both girls were early for school so they had time to spare for a conversation.

"I like it Lo." The dark girl replied, taking a seat in her chair while Lauren got a chair and sat besides her.

The Cuban girl's eyes widened, realizing what her friend had said. "So my nickname is 'Lo' now?"

Copying Lauren's actions from earlier, "Do you not like it? I can change it if you want." Normani replied.

Both girls looked at each other and began laughing. The African American girl never felt this sort of relief in a while. Lauren was like a breath of fresh air in her desert.

"I like being around you Normani," The Hispanic girl stated as her laughs quieted down and looked her friend in her eyes, "I really do."

Normani blushed slightly at Lauren's words, pushing a bit of her hair behind her ear.

"I-"

In that split second, the school bell had rung, signalling the beginning of the school day. By this, kids started to pile into their homerooms with their friends and teacher, getting ready for the day.

Lauren's smile dropped a little by the fact that her and Normani were interrupted. "I guess I'll see you later then."

The Cuban girl's statement was more of certainty than anything else. She was going to see Normani before she went home. She would make sure of that.

"You will." Was the dark girl's answer and Lauren left her with a sly smirk before leaving the classroom.

"What are you smiling at Hamilton? Focus today please." The teacher stated bringing Normani out of her reverie.

She nodded and went back to staying silent among the hurtful teens in her class.

~

"Come on Ms. Hamilton. How don't you know the equation of a circle?" Mr. Alvin huffed out frustratedly at his student.

Normani knew that she didn't know the answer. Probably because he didn't teach them the topic.

Just as the dark girl was about to reply, another student cut her off.

"Mr. Alvin, its obvious that she's too stupid to remember. I mean look at her." The same boy that made fun of her the first day Lauren walked in the class, said.

His response had a few laughs from around the room causing Normani to put her head down, feeling dejected.

Her Cuban friend didn't like this at all. Her anger was just raging within her and her fists begged to hit against something.

It looked as though she was gonna get her shot because the teacher continued to teach without scolding the child.

"I'VE HAD IT!" Lauren's voice boomed throughout the room causing everything to go silent.

Mr. Alvin, looking lost, wiped his glasses with a napkin, "What do you mean Ms. Jauregui?"

She looked at him in his eyes with pure fury. "You and that fucked up boy over there are getting on my nerves."