Chapter Sixty-Five

Emilia

A Starbucks run was much needed. Tall caramel macchiato please. My diet didn't allow it but other than running back to Aubrey, this was the next best thing to make me feel better.

Emilia: I want to do another walk through.

Marcus Talms: that's fine.

Emilia: I want to bring my boyfriend as well.

Marcus Talms: ooooh a little love shack? Yay!

Emilia: No. You know my rule. Hahaha but I won't keep you up.

Marcus Talms: yeah my BF is getting irritated with this phone ringing.

Emilia: lol hahaha well go tend to that. I'll call you in the morning.

Marcus: alright.

Maybe having Aubrey come check out the place will make him feel better? I would hope so. I didn't mean to offend him but I surely thought he would be more understanding. This was so petty. Both of us were stubborn as hell. Makes for a bad combo in this situation.

I was thankful that I could make it in and out without being noticed. I slid into my car, turned up the music and took a scenic route of Calabasas. The night was quiet and calm. The mere 70 degree whether brought my windows down a few inches. The fresh air was everything right now.

I contemplated going to Owen's house. It was only a few minutes away. He was working tonight though. It wouldn't be much to zip over to the station and grab his keys; he'd let me explain later.

Incoming Call: Elena

"Hello?"

"Em?! Where are you?"

The hint of panic in her voice caught me by surprise.

"I'm riding around...what's wrong?"

"So you aren't at Starbucks anymore?"

"How'd you know I was at Starbucks?"

"Someone's following you."

"Who? TMZ? They must have posted a picture. I thought no one saw me, dang."

"No Em, someone is following you. It's Harold. He sent a picture to my
phone."

"Harold...Harold...wait you know Harold? The guy that popped on me and Courtne at In N Out? He said he worked with Paul, that he spoke with him and was concerned so he was- "

"He popped up on you? Wait Em that guy is not good people okay. How many times has this happened?"

"There and I saw him standing across the street when Aubrey and I were at Nice Guys."

"He just sent me a picture of you at Starbucks. I thought it was just me but apparently he's following you too."

"What? Hold on-"

"He doesn't work with Paul at his practice. He's a former cop. The county let him go because they found him stealing-"

"Fuck," I cursed when I saw blue lights flashing behind me.

"What?"

"I'm getting pulled over."

"Are you speeding?"

"I'm ten over. Shit, I don't feel like this."

"Goodness Em," she said as I pulled over on the shoulder of the quiet street, "stay on the phone okay? And when this is done can you come back here please. We need to talk."