Coupons

Mark's birthday is coming up and Wendy doesn't know what to get him. She's never been great at picking out gifts. What made it even harder for her to decide is how Mark doesn't really care about what she gets him. Which is a total lie! Everyone cares to some degree.

Why couldn't he just tell her what he wanted? It's not that big of a deal; it's normal to want stuff.

She bugged him again, asking the same question: "What do you want for your birthday?" Now, he replied with, "Just surprise me." Which actually means, "You better get me something good." As if that doesn't add more pressure.

Wendy thought about what to get him. She could get him food, but that's sort of odd, isn't it? Do people ever buy food as a birthday gift? That seems way too casual. She could also get him a gift card, except she already did that last year and he still hasn't used it at all. She considered even giving him straight up money. Just money. However, that gives off the impression that she doesn't care about getting him a gift.

The best gifts are usually authentic and thoughtful. Handmade was the way to go for Wendy. This encouraged her to combine her creative yet cheesy sides.

Finally, it struck her: coupons. She could make coupons for Mark to use on her whenever he pleased! Mark loves using coupons at stores; it saves him money. In this case, it'll save him time or make her do something nice or be his entertainment.

She compiled the following list:

➸ free hug

➸ run an errand

➸ do a favor

➸ be nice

➸ buy me food

➸ pay for me

➸ leave me alone

➸ tell me a joke

➸ do my laundry

➸ wash my dishes

➸ give me money

➸ make me breakfast

➸ make me lunch

➸ make me dinner

➸ sing to me

➸ draw for me

➸ dance for me

➸ rap for me

She cut out different shapes, mostly squares and rectangles. Writing the words down, she busted out her cursive skills and wrote over the regular handwriting using only pastel colors. She added stickers and drew random faces and pictures that correlated with the coupon. To finish it off, she drew dashes on the outer edge, barcodes at the bottom, and even wrote expiration dates to keep the authenticity. Her gift is ready!

Wendy showed up early, as she always has, to Mark's house for his birthday party. She handed him the coupons that were neatly tied with a white ribbon in a small blue gift bag. He grabbed the coupons while still holding the bag and untied the ribbon. He read the cards with a neutral face. Wendy thought he hated the gift. She pouted and then was angry at herself for creating such a pointless gift. She should already do those listed above if he asked. That's what a true friend does. The anger traveled to her cheeks, bursting with red.

Mark touched her forehead, zapping her out of her fury. "Are you okay? Why is your face so red?" He's concerned. "It might be because it's so hot in here," she said as she fanned herself, pretending to break a sweat. He turned on the fan.

"So what do you think of your present?" she asked nervously.

He grinned. "I love it."

Wendy was shocked. "You didn't look like you did."

"What do you mean? I was clearly smiling."

"I guess the heat was getting to me." She laughed awkwardly. Mark shrugged.

"You're missing a coupon."

"I am?"

He nodded his head. "Yeah."

"What is it?"

"The free kiss coupon."

"Wh—"

He kissed her cheek and ran away to his room. She chased him, but because of her short legs, she couldn't catch him. He locked the door after sticking his tongue out at her. She yelled at his door, "Next time plant one on my lips!" He opened the door with a flourish and kissed her on the lips and shut the door. She turned around and bit her lips. But she's smiling.