Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Armie-

The location is insane. In a good way. It's right near a group of other businesses but the street is flooded with an assortment of different people, which would mean a variety of customers.

We walk up the stairs to the old, rustic looking building and my eyes land on a tall brown-haired man with a polo shirt and nice sunglasses standing in the window; khaki shorts and spiked hair also drape him.

He smiles when he sees us, his demeanor friendly but demanding of respect. He's confident. Polo man waltzes outside and I make a note of how well-groomed he is.

 Healthy fingernails, toned shoulders, sharp jawline. He could easily be on the cover of Men's Health.

Elizabeth, so good to see you again", he remarks to my wife, and shakes her hand in a friendly, nonchalant way. I take it they've met before.

His eyes reveal that he thinks my wife is beautiful. I know that look all too well, but for the first time, it doesn't bother me that someone's looking. I don't feel threatened, maybe because Elizabeth and I are in a bad place, or maybe because I know she's faithful.

He turns to me, smile big, hand smooth, only a couple of inches shorter than me.

"And Mr. Hammer!", he says like we're old friends, shaking my hand firmly but touching my upper arm with his other hand, showing a sign of care.

His cologne is nice, smells expensive. I'm over analyzing every second of this meeting because I can't figure out if I like him or not.

Is it jealously that flows through me? or admiration for his good taste in shoes and clothes? Being unable to determine what I'm feeling frustrates me.

"Call me Armie", I say out of habit, wanting to get on his level of friendliness.

"Jared, good to meet you. If you guys want to follow me I'll show you the building and we can make some decisions on what we want to tear down and what we don't. Later, we can go over everything again just to make sure it's all adjusted to your liking. Any questions?"

I can tell he's done this for quite a while and is very good at it, which is probably why Elizabeth hired him in the first place.

He and Elizabeth continue walking through, talking countertops and kitchen machinery, leaving me in the foyer. I feel more alone than I have in months.

I pull out my phone and text the only person who could make me feel better.

12:29-A// I already miss you next to me.

Timmy-

The second I pull the door open to the small building I'm hit with a wave of cold air and the strong scent of coffee. Most of everything is grey, except for the black winding staircase towards the back; the lighting is dim.

The bright orange flames from the brick fire place and the red velvet curtain hanging in the back are the only sources of color.

A small sign stands next a grey podium reading "self-seating", so I make my way to the farthest right table available. Only a few tables are taken, mostly by people on laptops.

A tall woman with a black bun on her head walks up to me with a menu in her hand. Her red lipstick and her pale skin are so contrasting to each other that I can't help but think if vampires were real, she would surely be one.

"Can I get you anything sweetheart, or do you need a few minutes", she asks as she slides the menu in front of me.

"I'll just have a coffee", I say as I go to hand her the menu you back, but something on the back catches my eye.