Eight

"Are you sure about this?"

August tested his handgun one more time before tucking it in the waistband of his pants. "Yep. You?"

"Do I have a choice?"

"Nope."

"There you go."

Night had fallen. It was eleven thirty. August insisted we arrive "fashionably late"--his words--and the pub seemed to tower dauntingly over us. Soft, orange lights lined the streets, and a couple whispering to each other strolled by. Sometimes it was difficult to remember life continued. For those who did not know I existed, who were oblivious to the agonizing hardship, life kept going and so must they. It was just easy to forget, when all you seemed to do was run for your life.

"Ellie?"

I shook myself from my thoughts, turning to August. "Huh?"

"You okay? You spaced out again."

"Sorry," I muttered, drawing my lower lip between my teeth. "I'm ready."

"Sure?"

"Yeah."

"Okay." Without another word, he pushed through the door. I followed close behind, making sure he was within reach the entire time. The pub was dark and quiet, the kind of quiet you never get used to. One of my hands settled against the gun tucked in his jeans, hidden away beneath the shirt. In a twisted way, it comforted me.

"Ellie, personal space," August whispered. "You're incredibly close to me right now."

I backed away. "Sorry."

He opened his mouth to comment further, but just then a light flickered on and a figure emerged from the back room. He was huge, but not the guy we met before.

"Tia's nephew," he announced. "August?"

"That's me."

He motioned for us to come towards him, and once we did, he ushered us through the door. I could hardly believe what was on the other side.

"Whoa," I breathed, scanning the room. I couldn't believe so much was hidden from sight. There were at least five TVs set up, all displaying different scenes from around Schenectady. Some guys were at a desk playing poker, and another darts. The door slammed loudly behind us and, without preamble or warning or anything, the man gripped August in a tight hug.

"Welcome to the HQ, son," he said, stepping back. "Your aunt was revered for her work here."

There was so much awkwardness creasing August's face I almost laughed. "Uh . . . thanks, I guess."

"I should be thanking you! I've heard a lot about your abilities as well. It'll be great to have you around."

I was completely fine with remaining invisible, but the man's eyes sought me out next. A chill passed through my body, and it was probably unwarranted, but being paranoid around every human being to ever cross my path was not something that would go away overnight.

"You must be Ellie," he murmured, dark eyes appraising me thoroughly. Instinctively I moved closer to August, my one source of trust and protection. This time when one of my hands curled in the fabric of his shirt over his back, he didn't comment on it.

"I am," I more or less squeaked, hating myself for it. Whenever I needed courage and bravado, I never had any.

"So nice to meet you."

I wish I could say the same. "Uh-huh."

His gaze lingered over my face for a nanosecond more before he spun on his heel. "Well, this is the Schenectady headquarters, as you can see, and I'm Jake. Sorry about your aunt by the way, boy. Real sad to hear about that. What can I do for you?"