Sincerely Beth

The day of regrets is what they called it. That day that seemed so promising. That day of beautiful sunshine that filled their faces with warmth and their minds with hope. The day the clouds ever so slightly graced across the ombre skies. Nature's beauty—deceiving it was— for no one could expect the storm that was soon to come. No one could take back what happened to Beth.

But today is a new day; a day that is very dark and dim. The skies are grey and the leaves have fallen. The barren oak branches sway in the wind casting their shadows onto the weathered ground. Tombstone after tombstone they pass, as they walk through the Monroe County Cemetery. A place where they come to often, but not often for funerals. Shay and Elly, sit down. Their backs plastered upon a tombstone as Shay reaches into her bag and pulls out an envelope.

"I got this in this mail the other day. It's from her." Shay says.

"From who?"

She hands Elly the envelope that had 'Ellie' written on it. "From Bet

"From Bethany, I know. I noticed her hand writing. She never could get my name right. It's with a Y not IE." Elly opens the unsealed envelope and pulls out the folded letter inside. "Wait, How did you get this? Do you know where she's at? Is she okay?"

"Elly I don't freaking know! I just got it in the mail and it doesn't have a return address. It just says this in the corner." She points at the text that read '0-M23589'. "I didn't even know it was her until I read it!"

"Waitwhat the hell, you read it? It's my name on it." Elly blurted.

"Well, I mean yes, but it came to my house genius." she shrugs while Elly's eyes roll in frustration. There was a distinct moment of silence as they tried to calm things down. " But anyways, this is some serious shit Elly, and you need to read it." Shay ensures.

Elly takes a deep breathe and unfolds the letter.

Ellie,

Hey, I know it's been awhile since we last seen each other. What was it? A year and a half ago on that day I'd like to forget. Me and you go waaay back Ellie, we've been friends since kindergarten and you've never left my side. You were always there for me . You were always selfless, kind, and you would literally do anything in the world for me. We were always the perfect pair, ya know-like those socks!

You remember, the yellow socks with little cute shrimps printed on them?! I remember when I first showed them to you at the mall a few years ago. How cheesy you thought they were, but I convinced you that best friends should have cheesy matching socks at all times. You hated them, but you bought them anyways. You would always do anything for me, and I would always do anything for you.

Which is why I must tell you something. There is a reason why I went missing for so long, and it all started with that one single terrible day. It's funny how me, you, and the five others thought we were so cool to be a couple of high school juniors with our own cabin. And for a while, it was cool. But as cool as it was, we weren't experienced enough to have done the things we've done. We all drank WAY too much.

I never told anyone this, but that morning I woke up alone in my bed. I wish I didn't. I woke up in pain-completely naked. My back drenched in sweat and my bed sheets stained in blood. I walked, each step a struggle. Each step towards finding out what would eventually ruin my life forever. I went to the bathroom. I remember how my fingers trembled as I reached my hands in between my legs, and that's when I knew. I was raped.

Elly starts to get up but Shay won't allow it.

"Hey! Where are you going?" Shay yells.

"I'm going to kill the fucker who did this! Nobody deserves that!"

"You don't even know who did it!"

"Sure I do, it had to be Nick! Nick has been trying to get his hands on Beth since the sixth grade and plus he was super drunk"

"We were all super drunk Elly. Just finish reading the note before you make assumptions."

" Yeah, but every time I looked over my shoulder he was getting Bethany another drink. Trying to get her wasted. I remember seeing him follow her up the stairs that night, and that's when I followed them. And then after that I.."

" I...?"

"I can't remember." Elly murmured while sitting back down.

At the time, I was in denial. I thought maybe I just got my period early. But when it came to the next month, there was no period. I was pregnant. I didn't know what to do or how to feel. So I went to the cabin to clear my head. It was my first time back since that day, and everything was still in ruins. Trash on the kitchen counters, bottles on the floor, and the Beth I used to know still on the bed where I left her.

I walked to my bedroom door, and as soon as I cracked the door open, the memories came flooding back, each memory like a stab to the heart. I wanted to scream as loud as I could but instead I went silent. I laid my head on the cold floor as I gasped for air, continuously trying to convince myself that those weren't my memories. It was impossible. I was just making stuff up. I turned my head towards the bed and reality came around in full circle, stealing whatever soul I had left. Ellie, I found your sock underneath my bed.

"No, no! This isn't true, it can't be true! I would never do that to her!" He yelled.

"Elly, you were so Drunk you never know! Look, when I woke up that morning, I found you passed out in the hallway in front of her door."

" I'm telling you. It, it wasn't me."

"Well, tell me what happened that night. How did your sock get inside of the same room Bethany was raped?!"

"Don't use that word! I don't know... I can't remember."

"That's why you need to finish the letter."

I spoke to your mother that day. I asked her not to tell you anything. But, I had her swab your mouth while you were sleeping and we got a DNA test. Once we got the results. She pleaded that I got an abortion. She told me that if I really cared about you, I wouldn't ruin your life. But you ruined mines. I told her I would do what I felt was best for me.

She said I was a disgrace, and that she blames herself for ever letting you be friends with me. But who's really the disgrace? That's when I told her I would keep it a secret between me and her. But that wasn't enough for her. She told me she would pay me to go out of town and never return. And that's exactly what I did. Elliot you have a child. Well, had a child. By now, you're sitting at her grave.

Sincerely,

Beth.

Artist X: Can anyone guess where she is writing from and why?